The MPCA uses a system called Environmental Quality Information System (EQuIS) by EarthSoft Inc. to store water-related monitoring data and associated laboratory results from sampling locations across the state.
Currently, the EQuIS database contains information from Minnesota streams, lakes, wells, Superfund Program, closed landfills, other remediation sites and open landfills as well as data from the state Department of Agriculture and selected data from the U.S. Geological Survey that were funded through cooperative studies with the MPCA.
EQuIS application and tools
EQuIS Professional (Pro), an application available for core users, is used to maintain the database and create custom reports. The agency has limited number of concurrent Pro licenses.
EQuIS offers a variety of software tools and standards developed to allow for fast, dependable data collection and reporting.
Please select from the following bullets for more information about the EQuIS data process and tools:
- Data Process Information: Data submittals, review, and reports
- EQuIS Data Gathering Engine (EDGE): Field data collection tool
- Lab_MN format: Lab data storage spreadsheet
- Chain of Custody (COC): Sample tracking form
- EQuIS Enterprise: Web based reporting and EDD processing tool and data portal
Data processes vary between agency programs. Please visit the links below to view data process instructions for individual programs.
- Ambient Ground Water data submittals (under development)
- Closed Landfill Program (under development)
- Remediation data submittals (under development)
- Superfund Program — Groundwater Contamination Mapping Project
- Surface water data submittals, review and reports
EDGE is a field data gathering tool used to populate spreadsheets and generate EDDs which can then be used for EQuIS field data storage. EDGE_MN is the EDGE format that will be used in Minnesota.
The MPCA conducted an EDGE_MN pilot project in January 2014 with eight labs and contractors. After the pilot project, the EQuIS project management team evaluate the benefits of EDGE_MN and is continuing efforts to determine the amount and type of support that the MPCA will need to provide to users following a complete rollout.
The MPCA developed EDGE Standard Operating Procedures and provided training to field staff and contractors in July 2014. EDGE_MN is now rolled out to those programs ready to adapt it and use this tool during upcoming 2015 field season.
Lab_MN is an electronic data deliverable (EDD) format developed by the MPCA and MN.IT enabling labs to submit results in an EQuIS-ready format. It incorporates EQuIS data standards and enables remote error checking prior to submitting data to the MPCA. Beginning in 2015, all major labs supplying EQuIS-bound data are required to adopt this standard.
COC procedures must be followed to maintain and document sample possession. The MPCA has developed a COC that can be populated within the EDGE application or on paper provide labs with the information necessary to work in the Lab_MN format. The COC is available within EDGE_MN and by downloading the COC template.
EQuIS Enterprise is an existing web based processing and reporting tool used primarily by MPCA staff. In the future, a data submittal portal will be incorporated into EQuIS Enterprise to provide internal and external partners a more automated data submittal and response system.
EarthSoft’s Online Help
- EarthSoft Website
- EQuIS Data Gathering Engine (EDGE)
- EQuIS Office Hours Videos
- EQuIS Online Documentation
- EQuIS YouTube site
- EarthSoft Files for MPCA
- Environmental Data Access (EDA)
- Surface Water Data Submittals, Review, and Reports
MPCA programs with data coordinators.
Ambient Groundwater Program:
- Sharon Kroening, 651-757-2507
Closed Landfill Program:
Open Landfill Program:
- Alex Hokenson, 651-757-2440
Petroleum Remediation and Redevelopment Section:
- Jim Pennino, 651-757-2648
- David Moore, 651-757-2583
Surface Water Monitoring Program: