The MPCA uses the Environmental Quality Information System (EQuIS) to store water quality data from more than 17,000 Minnesota sampling locations. EQuIS contains information from Minnesota streams and lakes dating back to 1926.
Water quality data 2023-2024 timeline:
- Through June 1, 2023: Submit project and location metadata, complete 2022 data review.
- Through Nov. 1, 2023: Submit field data via the Field data template.
- Dec. 1, 2023: Begin final data review.
- Dec. 15, 2023: Complete final data review for assessment related data.
- Jan. 12, 2024: Data finalized and ready for the 2024 assessment process.
Contractors must provide analytical data in the MPCA LAB_MN format and follow chain-of-custody procedures. Learn more:
Note: Always use the current online version of the forms; they are updated frequently.
Save the project and location establishment forms to your computer before filling them out and emailing them to an EQuIS team member and designated MPCA project manager.
Step 1: Submit a project establishment form for new projects or project updates.
Step 2: Submit a location establishment form for establishing new sampling locations or to associate existing sampling locations with your project (co-located sites).
Step 3: Use the field data template to submit your field data on or before November 1.
To protect the quality of data in EQuIS, newly submitted data is marked as preliminary until it has been reviewed by an MPCA project manager or local partner.
In the first week of December, crosstab reports with review instructions will be emailed to project managers who submitted an "EQuIS ready" field data template or an electronic data deliverable (EDD) to the EQuIS Team by November 1.
Priority watershed data
All priority watershed data must be finalized and ready for the assessment process by January 12, 2024. Late submittals will be processed as time allows. If deadlines are missed, the data will likely not be finalized in time to be used.
The MPCA will conduct surface water assessments for these watersheds in early 2024 to determine whether water bodies meet state water quality standards:
- 04010102 Lake Superior - South
- 04010301 Nemadji River
- 07010107 Redeye River
- 07010108 Long Prairie River
- 07040002 Cannon River
- 09020301 Red River of the North - Sandhill River
- 09020304 Thief River
- 10170202 Upper Big Sioux River
- 10170203 Lower Big Sioux River
- 10170204 Rock River
- 10230003 Little Sioux River