Amendments adopting Low-Emission Vehicle and Zero-Emission Vehicle air pollution standards (Revisor’s ID R-4626)
MPCA is considering adopting rules that require vehicle manufacturers to deliver vehicles to the Minnesota market that produce lower emissions of greenhouse gases (GHG) and other air pollutants. The Clean Cars Minnesota rulemaking would enable Minnesota to adopt both the Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) and Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) standards.
Deadline for Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) report extended
Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) Chief ALJ Starr has issued an extension order regarding ALJ Palmer-Denig’s report for the Clean Cars Minnesota rulemaking. The deadline for completion of the ALJ report is now Friday, May 7, 2021.
- Chief ALJ’s extension order (aq-rule4-10ag)
- Final response to comments (aq-rule4-10ab)
- Rebuttal comments (aq-rule4-10af)
- Preliminary Response to Comments (aq-rule4-10aa)
- Second preliminary response to comments (aq-rule4-10ac)
- Notice comments 1 - eComments (aq-rule4-10z1)
- Notice comments 2 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z2)
- Notice comments 3 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z3)
- Notice comments 4 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z4)
- Notice comments 5 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z5)
- Notice comments 6 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z6)
- Notice comments 7 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z7)
- Notice comments 7a - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z7a)
- Notice comments 8 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z8)
- Notice comments 9 - eComments attachments (aq-rule4-10z9)
- Notice comments 10 - fax or mail (aq-rule4-10z10)
- Notice comments 10a - fax or mail (aq-rule4-10z10a)
Notice of Intent to Adopt Rule with a Hearing
On Dec. 21, 2020, the MPCA published a Notice of Intent to Adopt Rule with a Hearing for the Clean Cars Minnesota rule in the State Register. The initial comment period ran from Dec. 21, 2020 – March 15, 2021. On Feb. 22-23, 2021, Administrative Law Judge Palmer-Denig held a public hearing about the proposed rule.
- Notice of Intent to Adopt Rule With a Hearing (aq-rule4-10o)
- Proposed Rule (aq-rule4-10n)
- Statement of Need and Reasonableness (SONAR) (aq-rule4-10m)
- Technical Support Document (aq-rule4-10v)
- Hearing Record of MPCA Rulemaking Documents A-K (aq-rule4-10x)
- Hearing presentation slides (aq-rule4-10y)
- Combined hearing transcripts (aq-rule4-10ae)
- SONAR addendum (aq-rule4-10ad)
During the notice period, MPCA staff held a series of one-hour virtual public information sessions to share the conclusions of our analysis of the proposed rule and review how you can participate in the rulemaking process and formally submit a comment into the record. The meetings were recorded.
- Jan. 19, 2021 - Recorded meeting
- Jan. 20, 2021 - Recorded meeting
- Jan. 27, 2021 - Recorded meeting
- Feb. 2, 2021 - Recorded meeting
Visit our public engagement page for helpful tips on how you can participate in this phase of the rulemaking process.
MPCA Commissioner Laura Bishop introduces the proposed Clean Cars Minnesota rule.
Request for Comments
The request for comments (RFC) published on Oct. 7, 2019, was MPCA’s legal notice of its intent to begin a new rulemaking. This was the first of several opportunities for public comment and input on this rulemaking. The RFC period closed on Dec. 6, 2019. Review all written comments submitted to the agency:
- Clean Cars MN Comments Received in Response to RFC (aq-rule4-10l)
- Clean Cars Minnesota: Request for Comments (aq-rule4-10a)
Learn more about the feedback we received in 2019.
Detailed overview of the concepts MPCA is considering for the Clean Cars Minnesota rulemaking. This document will help readers understand the potential rules being considered and their rationale.
Colorado is the most recent state to have adopted these standards. MPCA is considering using Colorado’s rule language and regulatory analysis as a model from which to develop our own. Several of the questions in our supplement document refer to Colorado’s materials.
- Colorado Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) and Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) rules (aq-rule4-10d)
- Regulatory analysis - Colorado Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) rule (aq-rule4-10e)
- Regulatory analysis - Colorado Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Rule (aq-rule4-10f)
During the RFC period, we held a series of public meetings around the state to share information and gather input from Minnesotans. Learn more about our public engagement efforts throughout 2019–2020.
Sign up to receive email notifications for public meetings and other rulemaking developments.
Questions about technical or policy aspects of the rule: Amanda Jarrett Smith, email@example.com or 651-757-2486
Questions about the rule process or schedule: Katie Izzo, firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-757-2595