Annually, the WPLMN analyzes recently collected data to track water quality trends.
Calculated daily pollutant load concentrations are used to create the maps below which are separated by parameter and display the most current data available. Each parameter’s data is displayed by average annual flow weighted mean concentrations as well as yield.
To analyze these parameters by site, watershed, or year, use the WPLMN data viewer. Use the data to compare the runoff/precipitation data found below. Sample and flow datasets are also listed below.
Major watershed pollutants
Yields and flow weighted mean concentrations by monitoring site watershed
Nitrate+nitrite nitrogen (NO3+NO2 – N)
Total Kjeldahl nitrogen (TKN)
Total phosphorus (TP)
Dissolved orthophosphate phosphorus
(In 2016: Not sampled at all sites and permanently discontinued for subwatershed sites)
Total suspended solids (TSS)
Mississippi River Basin
Pollutant loads as a percent of the load measured at Lock & Dam #3 near Red Wing, Minn.
Runoff/precipitation maps and data
Statewide variation in precipitation, the amount of that precipitation that ends up as runoff, and the ratio between runoff and rainfall (runoff ratio).
- DNR/MPCA Cooperative Stream Gaging - Stream discharge and links to Division of Waters Resources, climate information, river levels, water quality information, recreation, and commonly used hydrological terms.
- Current water data for Minnesota (USGS)
- Surface water monitoring sites and data: Map-based search
- Surface water conditions (Assessments)
- EIMS | Environmental Information Management System (Metropolitan Council) - View and download information on lakes, rivers, streams, rain gauges, and wastewater treatment facilities for the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area. (MCES)