Skip to main content
Conveyor belt at recycling plant transports garbage for sorting.

The goal of the MPCA's regulatory programs covering hazardous substances and solid waste is to prevent contamination of land, water, and air by facilities that handle or store these materials. The waste and any toxic substances in it can pose threats to the environment and human health.

Storage tanks

The MPCA regulates both underground and aboveground commercial storage tanks of a certain size that hold petroleum or hazardous liquids. Tanks must be built and installed to meet a set of technical standards and comply with state rules and permits. The agency assists tank owners and others in meeting requirements, performs inspections, and determines appropriate enforcement actions when it finds violations.

Solid waste facilities

MPCA permits are required for construction, modification, and operation of solid waste management facilities where waste is treated, stored, processed, transferred, or disposed. This includes municipal solid waste and specialty landfills, composting sites, recycling and material recovery facilities, waste incinerators, transfer stations, and more.

Hazardous waste

In Minnesota, commercial entities that produce any amount of hazardous waste are regulated as hazardous-waste "generators." Treatment, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste is regulated by state and federal rules. Hazardous-waste generators in Greater Minnesota are regulated by the MPCA. County programs regulate hazardous-waste generators in the Twin Cities area. We also provide training, technical assistance, and education and outreach. Learn more:

Electronics recycling

Putting devices with cathode ray tubes (CRTs) in mixed municipal solid waste is prohibited in Minnesota. The state also has recycling requirements for video display devices (VDD) including televisions, home security displays, and computer monitors. Each year, VDD manufacturers must register with the state and pay a registration fee, collect and recycle electronic devices in Minnesota, and report on their collection and recycling efforts.

VDD retailers can sell only brands registered in Minnesota to households in the state and must provide recycling information to their customers. Learn more: