The MPCA has authority to grant temporary variances to water quality standards in some situations. To be appropriate, the variance must meet the criteria and provisions set by EPA and also comply with state regulations. Ultimately, EPA has the authority to approve variance provisions adopted by MPCA.
Variances may be granted to water quality standards in Minn. R. chs. 7050 and 7052, and to effluent discharge restrictions in ch. 7053.
Active variances from Minnesota Rules Chapters 7050, 7052 and 7053:
- Alexandria Lake Area Sanitary District (ALASD)
- Avon WWTP
- Cliffs Erie – Dunka Mining
- Maple Hill Estates
- United Taconite LLC-Thunderbird Mine
- Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar – Renville
- Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD)