Hazardous waste manifests

A manifest is a multi-page shipping paper that must accompany off-site shipments of hazardous waste. A manifest tracks hazardous waste movement from your site to the proper destination — often referred to as “cradle” (the point of waste generation) to “grave” (the final destination). Your receipt of the final (facility-signed) page of the manifest assures that the waste you shipped arrived at its intended destination. You, the waste generator, are responsible for the consequences of any mismanagement of your waste. So it is in your best interest to carefully choose the waste destination facility and to actively track your manifests until the waste reaches its destination.

EPA’s Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest. Beginning September 5, 2006, all generators of hazardous waste must use the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest (EPA form 8700-22). The manifest forms are only available from companies registered with EPA.

Get more information on the new manifest requirements:

Hazardous wastes usually must also meet the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) hazardous materials (HAZMAT) definitions and, therefore, have additional DOT regulations. For more information:

Hazardous waste manifest reports

The MPCA no longer receives manifests from generators of any size, so the Hazardous Waste Manifest search tool is no longer available. Download historical data: Package icon Historical manifest data (HW_manifests.zip)

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will soon have a national database of all generators in the U.S. and that data will be available to the public. We will provide a link to that website once it is available.

More information

For more information about manifests, contact your metropolitan county hazardous waste office or the MPCA office closest to your county.

Metro county hazardous waste offices

  • Anoka County: 763-422-7093
  • Carver County: 952-361-1800
  • Dakota County: 952-891-7557
  • Hennepin County: 612-348-3777
  • Ramsey County: 651-266-1199
  • Scott County: 952-496-8475
  • Washington County: 651-430-6655

Minnesota Department of Transportation

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency

  • Toll free: 800-657-3864
  • Brainerd: 218-828-2492
  • Detroit Lakes: 218-847-1519
  • Duluth: 218-723-4660
  • Mankato: 507-389-5977
  • Marshall: 507-537-7146
  • Rochester: 507-206-2631
  • St. Paul: 651-296-6300
  • Willmar: 320-214-3786

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency