Public comment period now open
The public notice period for the draft NPDES/SDS permit is now open. The draft NPDES/SDS permit and fact sheet can be viewed above or on the MPCA’s public notice webpage. To be part of the official record, comments must be in writing and received by 4:30 PM on Friday, April 10, 2020.
Submit comments online: http://npdes-sds.mpca.commentinput.com/
Submit comments by mail:
Enbridge Line 3 Public Comments – Water Quality
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
520 Lafayette Road North
St. Paul, MN 55155-4194
A National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)/State Disposal System (SDS) permit will be needed to cover waters associated with hydrostatic testing of new pipeline and buoyancy control. Hydrostatic testing is done to check the structural integrity of new pipelines. Buoyancy control water is used to temporarily maintain the pipe in place during installation.
Testing the structural integrity of pipelines involves filling the vessel with water to a desired pressure and then checking for leaks or fissures. Buoyancy control involves filling the pipeline segment with water and capping it so that the segment of pipeline stays in place during the installation process. Test and buoyancy control water is normally secured from a nearby water body, groundwater or a municipal supply.
Upon completion of the test and buoyancy control, the process wastewaters must be discharged. It is this discharge that the NPDES/SDS permit addresses. Enbridge must discharge in accordance with NPDES/SDS permit conditions which can include monitoring, limits, and best management practices. The amount of water to be discharged is predicated upon the length of pipeline segment being tested or installed and can vary between several thousand gallons to several million gallons. Discharge duration can last from one day to several days depending about the amount of water to be discharged and discharge velocity.
The MPCA follows the general process below for processing water quality permit applications. Steps in green indicate opportunities for public participation in the process.
On November 25, 2019, the MPCA received a new industrial wastewater NPDES/SDS application for the Line 3 replacement project.
Industrial wastewater NPDES/SDS application
- Cover letter to MPCA - Nov. 25, 2019 (wq-wwprm1-53a)
- NPDES/SDS Transmittal Form (11-25-19) (wq-wwprm1-53b)
- Permit checklist (wq-wwprm1-53g)
- Industrial Surface Water Discharge of Process Wastewater Application (wq-wwprm1-53c)
- Industrial Land Discharge of Process Wastewater Application (wq-wwprm1-53d)
- Individual NPDES/SDS Permit Supplement (wq-wwprm1-53e)
- Environmental Protection Plan (wq-wwprm1-53f)
- Industrial chemical additives attachment form (wq-wwprm1-53h)
- Cover letter to MPCA - Oct. 30, 2018 (wq-wwprm1-52a)
- NPDES Permit Application Checklist (wq-wwprm1-52b)
- NPDES Transmittal Form (wq-wwprm1-52c)
- Industrial Surface Water Discharge of Process Wastewater Application (wq-wwprm1-52d)
- Industrial Land Discharge of Process Wastewater Application (wq-wwprm1-52e)
- Individual NPDES/SDS permit application supplemental information (wq-wwprm1-52f)