We get it! Sometimes it's easier to talk to a person.
Our free and confidential services can help you apply for permits, find industry-specific resources, and reduce regulatory obligations.
Call our Helpline: 800-657-3938 or 651-282-6143 or email us.
The Small Business Environmental Assistance Program helps Minnesota businesses comply with environmental rules, reduce wastes and emissions, and reduce regulatory obligations. Our focus is on small businesses that are independently owned and operated, have fewer than 100 employees, and are not major sources of waste or emissions.
Our services include:
- Individual phone assistance at 800-657-3938 or 651-282-6143
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Site visits on request
- Online tools and printed materials available
- Ideas to help your business go beyond compliance
Business-specific information is kept confidential from enforcement except in cases of imminent danger to human health and the environment.
How do I? Answers to our most frequently asked questions
Q: Change the facility name, owner, contact person, or other administrative details of my permit or license?
A: Change forms for common MPCA permits and licenses are listed on the Administrative changes page. Forms to void permits for businesses that have closed are also listed.
Q: File a complaint?
A: Submit an anonymous complaint any time using the online complaint form. Click ‘log in as guest.’ If you prefer to talk to a person, call the MPCA during business hours at 651-296-6300 or 1-800-657-3864.
Q: Find out which environmentally regulated businesses or contaminated properties are in my community?
A: Use the What’s in My Neighborhood page to search for information and locations of MPCA-regulated businesses and contaminated properties.
Q: Request lists of businesses in Minnesota for research or marketing?
A: Requests for lists can be submitted from the information request page. What’s in My Neighborhood can also be a good source of this sort of information.
Small Business Ombudsman: your advocate
The Small Business Ombudsman is an independent entity that reviews environmental regulatory activities to ensure that they are fair, reasonable and appropriate for small businesses in Minnesota. The ombudsman works with the Small Business Environmental Assistance Program to provide technical and educational assistance, and helps small businesses find financial resources to help protect the environment.
Small Business Enterprise newsletter
The quarterly Small Business Enterprise covers environmental regulations, sustainability, funding, and training.
- Notice of Intent to Adopt Rules - Proposed Air Quality Housekeeping Rules
- Climate action opportunities
- Refrigeration management
- 20th Anniversary: Minnesota Retiree Environmental Technical Assistance Program
- Coming soon! Second round of MPCA grants for dry cleaning equipment
- Lead poisoning from fishing tackle
- Apply today: grants for improving air quality in areas of concern for environmental justice
- Get the lead out
- Resources available to help reduce fuel use
- Free smart thermostats for your business
- Housekeeping amendments to air quality rules
- Need help with an efficiency project in 2021?
- Minneapolis Forward: Rebuild resilient initiative
- Electric snow blowers: is that an option for your business?
- Programs to help small businesses cut energy costs