We get it! Sometimes it's easier to talk to a person.
Our free and confidential services can help you apply for permits, find industry-specific resources, and reduce regulatory obligations.
Call our Helpline: 800-657-3938 or 651-282-6143 or email us.
The Small Business Environmental Assistance Program helps Minnesota businesses comply with environmental rules, reduce wastes and emissions, and reduce regulatory obligations. Our focus is on small businesses that are independently owned and operated, have fewer than 100 employees, and are not major sources of waste or emissions.
Our services include:
- Individual phone assistance at 800-657-3938 or 651-282-6143
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Site visits on request
- Online tools and printed materials available
- Ideas to help your business go beyond compliance
Business-specific information is kept confidential from enforcement except in cases of imminent danger to human health and the environment.
How do I? Answers to our most frequently asked questions
Q: Change the facility name, owner, contact person, or other administrative details of my permit or license?
A: Change forms for common MPCA permits and licenses are listed on the Administrative changes page. Forms to void permits for businesses that have closed are also listed.
Q: File a complaint?
A: Submit an anonymous complaint any time using the online complaint form. Click ‘log in as guest.’ If you prefer to talk to a person, call the MPCA during business hours at 651-296-6300 or 1-800-657-3864.
Q: Find out which environmentally regulated businesses or contaminated properties are in my community?
A: Use the What’s in My Neighborhood page to search for information and locations of MPCA-regulated businesses and contaminated properties.
Q: Request lists of businesses in Minnesota for research or marketing?
A: Requests for lists can be submitted from the information request page. What’s in My Neighborhood can also be a good source of this sort of information.
Small Business Ombudsman: your advocate
The Small Business Ombudsman is an independent entity that reviews environmental regulatory activities to ensure that they are fair, reasonable and appropriate for small businesses in Minnesota. The ombudsman works with the Small Business Environmental Assistance Program to provide technical and educational assistance, and helps small businesses find financial resources to help protect the environment.
This Minneapolis business replaced a paper receipt system with a paperless point-of-sale setup, preventing unnecessary exposure to a chemical that can have negative health effects.
Small Business Enterprise newsletter
The quarterly Small Business Enterprise covers environmental regulations, sustainability, funding, and training.
- Local business partnership: Legacy Building Solutions expansion stays on schedule with MPCA help
- Coming soon! MPCA alternative landscaping equipment grants
- Burnsville cuts energy use and GHG emissions while saving public dollars
- Looking for efficiency? Get a RETAP audit to uncover hidden savings at your facility
- MPCA regulatory updates - Industrial stormwater, air permits, hazardous waste training
- Two days left to apply! MPCA grants to reduce air emissions from refrigerant use
- MPCA offers $3.7 million in grant funding for diesel on-road trucks and transit buses
- Grant funding success story: City of St Louis Park moves to alternative landscaping equipment
- Air permit requirements for small sources of air emissions have changed
- New e-Service for air permit termination requests
- Pharmaceutical wastes: new requirements and allowances
$3.7M round for grants to fund replacement of older large and medium-sized trucks (class 4-8, not long-haul) and transit buses. Up to $40,000 or 25% of the overall cost of the vehicle.
Closed: Grant funding ($40,000 total) for projects that reduce emissions of high global warming potential (HGWP) greenhouse gas (GHG) refrigerants from facilities in Minnesota.
- Grants for vapor recovery at gasoline dispensing facilities - Due Feb 21
- New permit exemptions for small sources of air emissions
- Reminder: Air emission inventories are due
- Did you get your 2019 MPCA compliance calendar?
- MPCA offers green and safer product chemistry internship grant