The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) seeks diesel fleet owners from private, public, and nonprofit sectors to apply to this DERA grant opportunity to fund off-road clean diesel projects in Minnesota. The DERA program reduces diesel emissions from diesel engines to improve air quality and public health.
Application deadline: December 20, 2023 (4:30 p.m. CT)
The MPCA hosted an online-only informational webinar for this RFP. (40 min.)
Questions and answers
MPCA staff are prohibited from discussing this grant with applicants outside of the portal; contacting MPCA employees about the funding may disqualify you. Submit questions to email@example.com by 4 p.m. on December 15, 2023, using the subject line: “FFY 23 DERA Grant Question.” Questions and answers will be posted in the SWIFT Supplier Portal.
For full details, see the Clean Heavy-duty Off-road Equipment Grant Request for Proposals.
- Diesel fleet owners that operate in Minnesota in an off-road capacity
- For-profit, nonprofit, or government (local, state, and tribal) entities
- Grant contractors representing eligible clients
The MPCA anticipates awarding approximately $1.4 million for these grants, although additional funding may be included. The maximum grant funding per project is $500,000.
Grantees will be required to provide a cash match. Required cash match percentages vary based on project category (see Section 11 of the RFP).
- Eligible sources of a cash match are non-DERA, non-VW settlement or non-federal funds in the form of cash, loans, other grants, or capital assets dedicated to the project.
- Applicant may consider applying for a zero-interest Small Business Environmental Improvement Loan, which can count towards the applicant match.
The funding for these grants expires September 30, 2025, but awarded projects are encouraged to complete projects as quickly as possible after grant agreements are executed.
How to apply
The request for proposal (RFP) and application materials can only be viewed through the online SWIFT portal. The RFP is termed an “Event” within the SWIFT system.
- Go to the online SWIFT portal.
- Click on "Bidding opportunities".
- Find the event by name (MPCA-Clean Heavy-Duty Off-Road Equipment Grant) or ID (2000014949).
- Click "View Bid Package" to see the RFP and forms. (There’s no need to log in to see the documents.)
Grant applications are only accepted through the SWIFT portal.
- Register as a bidder in the SWIFT Supplier Portal, (Bidding = "applying")
- Choose "Register for an Account" and then "Register as a Bidder".
If you are already registered in the SWIFT system as a supplier (previously known as a vendor), use your supplier ID. Visit the SWIFT Supplier Portal under “Informational Tips” and “Supplier Portal Help” for more information. For questions about applying through SWIFT, please contact the Vendor Assistance Help Desk at 651-201-8100, option 1.