The Small Business Ombudsman is an independent entity responsible for reviewing environmental regulatory activities to ensure that they are fair, reasonable and appropriate for Minnesota's small businesses that have to comply with environmental regulations — independently owned and operated businesses with less than 100 employees.
This is accomplished by receiving and investigating complaints, mediating disputes, and representing small-business interests during rulemaking. The ombudsman also works with MPCA Small Business Environmental Assistance to provide technical and educational assistance, and acts as a contact for small businesses looking for financial resources.
- Assist small businesses with environmental concerns.
- Outreach and education for regulated small businesses.
- Simplify and reduce the complexity of the regulatory process for small businesses.
- Build partnerships with trade associations, business groups, economic development programs, and other small business assistance providers.
- Ensure environmental assistance is available to Minnesota small businesses that includes strong pollution prevention components.
- Help small businesses locate government and private financial assistance opportunities to protect the environment.