The Environmental Justice Advisory Group advises the MPCA Commissioner on implementation of the agency's environmental justice framework, provides feedback on its effectiveness, and offer suggestions for future improvements.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the MPCA in implementing our environmental justice framework, including assisting the MPCA in determining ways to measure success.
- Providing recommendations to the MPCA Commissioner on improvements to policies and procedures to ensure integration of environmental justice principles into the MPCA’s work.
- Providing input to the MPCA on activities and timeframes for framework implementation.
- Collaborating with the MPCA to improve civic engagement with environmental justice communities and acting as liaisons to strengthen communications and relationships between environmental justice communities and the MPCA.
- Sharing oral history and community experiences so the agency can better understand the communities they serve and inform community-based solutions.
- For more information on its role and procedures, refer to the group charter: Environmental Justice Advisory Group Charter (p-gen5-05)
We are currently looking for additional advisory group members from Greater Minnesota. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by submitting an application by January 8, 2020. Send your application to email@example.com.
Ideal candidates for the advisory group include: residents of overburdened communities and individuals experienced in community engagement, public involvement, policy development, advocacy, or program implementation around environmental justice, health equity and low-income issues. This could include community members, community organizers and advocates, local government staff, representatives from non-profit organizations, academic institutions, and others.
For additional information please contact Ned Brooks at 651-757-2557 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following members will continue for a second term on the Advisory Group:
- Maryan Abdinur
- Lea Foushee
- Sarah Goodspeed
- Winona LaDuke
- Shirley Nordrum
- LaShella Sims
- Halston Sleets
- Steve Sternberg
- Anita Urvina Davis
- Joan Vanhala
Commissioner Bishop thanks the following members of the original group who will not be renewing their terms:
- Asha Long
- Boise Jones
- David Manuel
- Jennifer Nguyen Moore
- Mahyar Sorour
- Mariela Ojeda
We are grateful for their assistance and advice over the past 2 1/2 years.
The MPCA strives to ensure that all Minnesotans receive equitable environmental protection, benefit equally from our work, and that all people have the opportunity to participate in and influence environmental decisions. The MPCA’s environmental justice framework outlines a set of strategies to achieve these principles. We developed this plan with input from community stakeholders and we want to establish a forum for ongoing stakeholder feedback, oversight, and collaboration.
The MPCA will regularly improve and modify implementation of the strategies based on initial experience, learning, and feedback. The environmental justice advisory group is one important way to receive feedback from stakeholders on the framework implementation and to collaborate on ways to improve MPCA’s work. This group is formed by the MPCA commissioner and is made up of a variety of stakeholders working on community engagement, environmental justice, health equity and related work.