Skip to main content

Local governments are critical to cleanup and recovery efforts following emergencies and natural disasters, guiding and assisting residents in waste disposal and ensuring the delivery of public services. The resources below are designed to help in those efforts.

If you need immediate assistance or guidance due to an emergency, call the Minnesota Duty Officer (651-649-5451 or 800-422-0798) and ask to speak to a member of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency's Emergency Response Unit.

Flooded wastewater-treatment facilities

Need immediate help? MnWARN is a mutual aid program for water, wastewater, and stormwater utilities. Member facilities that are damaged by disasters can obtain emergency assistance in the form of personnel, equipment, materials, and associated services to protect the health and welfare of the utilities' customers.

Debris management and public information

Customizable flyers

Building demolition

Tank management

Emergency construction

State stormwater rules require erosion prevention and sediment control at construction sites, and these activities normally require a permit. In an emergency, certain emergency construction activities may begin before a permit application is submitted to the MPCA. Emergency dike construction for an impending flood is an example. However, before emergency construction work begins, the MPCA must be notified of the emergency construction by fax or e-mail. The emergency construction should use erosion prevention and sediment control best management practices  to the extent possible. For additional information, see: