The MPCA partnered with many local stakeholders to investigate and evaluate the impact of chloride on Minnesota water resources. Their collaboration has produced several technical reports, guidance documents, and other resources.
- TCMA Chloride TMDL (wq-iw11-06e)
- EPA approval letter (wq-iw11-06g) (EPA approval 6/9/2016)
- TCMA Chloride Management Plan (wq-iw11-06ff) (MPCA approval 2/26/2016)
- Shingle Creek Chloride TMDL
- Nine Mile Creek Chloride TMDL
- Phase 1 Chloride Feasibility Study for the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area
MPCA report: 30% of Twin Cities wells have too much chloride
The MPCA groundwater program released its report regarding the findings of their monitoring efforts. Chloride concentrations were above the water quality standards in 30% of the wells in the Twin Cities metro area.
- The Condition of Minnesota’s Groundwater, 2007-2011
- The Condition of Minnesota’s Groundwater, 2007-2011: Summary
Chloride Work Group (Wastewater)
MPCA worked with volunteers from municipalities across Minnesota to develop a policy to address the increasing chloride problem for municipal wastewater discharges. The policy was submitted to the MPCA Commissioner and Advisory Committee on April 18, 2017.
See the Commissioner’s signed memo and documents referenced below.
- Signed Memorandum: Chloride Water quality standard and NPDES permit implementation guidance (wq-wwprm2-47)
- Chloride Work Group Policy Proposal for Minnesota: Recommendations for addressing chloride in municipal wastewater effluent (wq-wwprm2-24)
- Alternatives for addressing chloride in wastewater effluent (wq-wwprm2-18)
- Chloride permitting decision tree (wq-wwprm2-25)
Chloride variance requests
- Chloride variance request form (wq-wwprm2-10e)
- Eligibility tool for streamlined chloride variance approach (wq-wwprm2-17)
- Instructions on Eligibility tool for streamlined chloride variance approach (wq-wwprm2-17a)
Surface water monitoring guidance documents
The following documents were developed by the local water resource monitoring experts to provide specific guidance for monitoring chloride in lakes, streams, and storm sewers.
- TCMA Chloride Monitoring Guidance for Lakes
- TCMA Chloride Monitoring Guidance for Streams and Storm Sewers
Information from chloride project meetings
- Chloride technical advisory committee meeting information (wq-iw11-06r)
- Chloride inter-agency advisory team meeting information (wq-iw11-06h)
- Chloride education and outreach committee meeting information (wq-iw11-06y)
- Chloride implementation plan committee meeting information (wq-iw11-06z)
- Chloride Extravaganza Meeting Packet
- Sand Creek Meeting Information
- 16th Annual Road Salt Symposium (Feb. 2, 2017) MPCA Chloride Initiatives
- Minnesota Water Resources Conference (Oct. 19, 2016) Smart salting: managing salt use to protect the environment, save money and provide public safety
- EPA Webcast: Winter O&M for Green Infrastructure (November 3, 2015) — EPA Green Infrastructure Webcast Series
- NEMO Winter road and parking lot management workshop for local leaders (Oct. 7, 2015, Minnetonka Public Works)
- Mississippi River Forum (Jan. 30 and Feb. 27, 2015) — presentation available on the National Park Service website