Solid waste planning, research, and evaluation help the state develop an integrated waste management system.
Minnesota policy and legislation
Policy analysis, research, and evaluation contribute to Minnesota's efforts to reduce waste, prevent pollution, and recover resources from waste.
- Solid waste policy report. An analysis of the state's solid waste system and recommendations on policies, system improvements and research.
- Metropolitan Solid Waste Management Policy Plan. Establishes the plan for managing the Metropolitan Area’s solid waste.
- Waste Management Act and related acts and laws. Waste-related Minnesota legislation.
- Minnesota rules. Rules for hazardous waste, solid waste, and tanks.
Research and data
Comprehensive reports identify emerging issues and provide direction for future policies and programs.
- Recycling in Minnesota: the SCORE report. An annual examination of Minnesota waste management programs and data, as well as detailed data by county.
- Waste composition study. The MPCA commissioned a statewide study of what we are tossing into our garbage cans.
- Digging deep through school trash. A waste composition analysis of materials discarded at public schools
- Waste collection service arrangements. Research and analysis comparing open and organized collection systems for residential solid waste and recyclable materials.
- Industrial byproduct reuse survey. 2018 survey of various industries about challenges and opportunities to reuse or recycle industrial byproducts and other secondary materials.