Climate change is already occurring in Minnesota and is affecting our state’s environmental, economic, and social systems.
Adaptation is a complement to mitigation.
- Climate adaptation is developing and implementing strategies, initiatives and measures to help human and natural systems cope with and become more resilient to climate change impacts.
- Climate change mitigation emphasizes reducing greenhouse gas emissions with the goal of limiting the magnitude or progression of climate change. While it is important to continue to mitigate climate change by reducing emissions to avoid calamitous change, we also need to adapt to changes that are already occurring.
Climate change will affect ecosystems, infrastructure, and sectors of our economy. The impacts on these systems will depend on their sensitivity to climate change and their ability to adapt. The goal of adaptation is to increase natural and societal resilience to climate change.
For more information about climate adaptation, contact Laura Millberg, MPCA Climate Adaptation Team: email@example.com or 651-757-2568.
- Adapting to Climate Change in Minnesota 2017 Report of the Interagency Climate Adaptation Team (p-gen4-07c)
- Summary of Adapting to Climate Change in Minnesota 2017 Report (p-pgen4-07d)
- Adapting to Climate Change in Minnesota - 2013 Report of the Interagency Climate Adaptation Team
- Adapting to Climate Change in Minnesota - Preliminary Report of the Interagency Climate Adaptation Team (2010)
- 2016 Climate Adaptation Planning Survey Report (p-gen4-12)
MPCA Climate Adaptation Strategy
- MPCA Climate Adaptation Strategy and Proposed Near-term Actions — MPCA Climate Adaptation Team (2014)
Resources for adaptation strategies
- Climate Adaptation Knowledge Exchange
- National Climate Assessment (U.S. Global Change Research Program, 2014)
- Adapting to climate change (U.S EPA)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Fourth Assessment Report (2007)
- Adaptation (Center for Climate and Energy Solutions)
- Wisconsin Initiative on Climate Change Impact
- Ready or not - An evaluation of state climate and water preparedness planning (NRDC)
- Community Resilience defined, challenges, and strategies
Changes in temperatures and precipitation are already affecting our state’s environment, economy, and communities. This report highlights what the state is doing to adapt.