The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) monitors environmental quality, offers technical and financial assistance, and enforces environmental regulations. The agency finds and cleans up spills or leaks that can affect our health and environment. Staff develop statewide policy, and support environmental education.
- Protect and improve the environment and human health.
- Clean water, air and land support healthy communities and ecosystems, and a strong economy in Minnesota.
- People: We value and support a motivated, talented and diverse workforce. #PCAPeople
- Leadership: We set a vision of environmental and human health protection in an open, ethical and accountable manner. #PCALeads
- Collaboration: We seek out and promote alliances because we value other’s knowledge, opinions and abilities. #PCACollaborates
- Outcomes: We measure our success by the environmental and public health outcomes achieved. #PCAOutcomes
- Data-driven: Our decisions and policies are supported by data and analysis. #PCAData-driven
- Learning organization: We promote innovation, learn from our mistakes and strive to continuously improve our processes and outcomes. #PCALearns
The MPCA uses a lot of data and metrics to help us gauge progress toward our goals. This dashboard provides some key measurements that show how we're doing in environmental protection and customer service.
Being a learning organization is one of the MPCA’s core values. We pride ourselves in making data-driven decisions and improving the way we work—including evaluating our current management system.
Baldrige Performance Excellence Program
The MPCA participated in the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program throughout 2016. Agency leadership conducted a comprehensive top-to-bottom assessment of the MPCA, using national Baldrige Performance Excellence Criteria, to explore agency values, our work and processes, and our outcomes. Trained Baldrige evaluators conducted site visits, observed agency work and interviewed employees in September 2016. The MPCA received an overall score of 431 out of 1000, or “Advancement Level”. The Agency scored better than half of all first-time applicants. MPCA leadership will continue working on identified opportunities for improvement throughout all levels of the Agency.
- Baldrige Application-Organizational Profile and Criteria 1-6 Assessment
- Baldrige Application-Results Assessment
- Baldrige Feedback Report
In 1967, a growing awareness of the environment's fragile nature led the Minnesota Legislature to create a new state agency, one with a unique challenge and a demanding responsibility: to protect the air, waters and land of our great state.
The Minnesota Legislature gave authority to the MPCA to begin controlling pollution problems in the state three years before the first Earth Day and the creation of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
The MPCA has made Minnesota a national model for environmental protection. The results are obvious: the air, land and water are cleaner now than they were 40 years ago, in spite of a growing population and rising industrialization. These results were possible because the agency partnered with the state Legislature, the U.S. EPA, local governments, industry, environmentalists, educators and the public.
Contact the MPCA
The MPCA has offices in seven cities around the state. To contact MPCA by phone, call 651-296-6300 in the Twin Cities area, or toll free at 800-657-3864. Or use your preferred telecommunications relay service.