What is a covered electronic device?
"Covered electronic devices" (CED) are consumer electronics that can be collected, recycled, and sold as pounds to meet manufacturer recycling obligation.
A "covered electronic device" (CED) is defined in the Minnesota Electronics Recycling Act. CED are defined in terms of source (from households in Minnesota), device types, and when they are collected. CED must meet all of these criteria as defined in the 2016 amendments:
Source: From "households" in Minnesota
Source: Collected and recycled by stakeholders registered with MPCA for a given program year.
Device types: Any brand
- "Video display devices" (VDD)
- Computers (including laptop and tablet computers)
- Peripherals (includes keyboard, printer, or any other device sold exclusively for external use with a computer that provides input or output into or from a computer)
- Facsimile machines (FAX)
- DVD players
- Video cassette recorders (VCRs)
- CED are no longer defined by screen size
Eligibility for sale to meet recycling obligation: CED collected in a given program year must be recycled and the pounds sold to a manufacturer before the start of the next program year (July 1).
- Eligible pounds for PY12 must be collected and recycled from July 1, 2018, through June 30, 2019, and sold before July 1, 2019.
Do not count as CED
Under Minnesota's law and program, CED are precisely defined. Here are examples which do not meet the definitions in the law and should not be reported under the Minnesota Electronics Recycling Act:
- Exclude: Anything collected from sources other than Minnesota household (e.g., commercial/industrial/institutional, out of state)
- Exclude: Transport packaging (pallets, boxes/gaylords)
- Exclude: Appliances
- Exclude: Cell phones/PDAs
- Exclude: Stereo/audio equipment
- Exclude: Household/small electrics (i.e., toasters, vacuum cleaners)
- Exclude: Electronic media (i.e., CD-ROMs, diskettes, cassettes, backup tapes)
- Exclude: Toner/ink cartridges collected separately (e.g., not as part of a printer or fax machine collected for recycling)