- Create an e-services account
- Submit sampling and monitoring data
- Amend previously submitted DMRs
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)/State Disposal System (SDS) permits for wastewater treatment require the reporting of discharge monitoring results. Visit the DMR e-services page to submit your data. The online form will display the limits and monitoring requirements from your permit. The forms are updated within 30 days of a permit action, such as issuing a new permit or modifying or reissuing an existing one.
- Guide to Discharge Monitoring Report Forms (wq-wwtp7-05)
- MPCA Wastewater Permit User's Manual - NPDES and SDS permits (wq-wwtp7-09)
Before submitting reports through the online system, all permittees must:
- Create an MPCA e-services account
- Submit an authorization agreement signed by the responsible official that names the account holder (the person in charge of electronic submittal). The account holder must also sign the agreement (see Account management section below).
The MPCA will email the account holder when it has approved the authorization. The account holder does not have to be the wastewater operator responsible for sampling, process operation, and DMR calculations, and permittees may authorize multiple account holders. Sign up at least two to three weeks before your DMR is due. A week before submitting your first DMR, log onto the system to verify the system allows submittal.
Daily sampling and monitoring data must be submitted on a sample values or operational spreadsheet, which are customized to your facility and available in e-services. At the end of the monitoring period, a feature in e-services can be used to calculate the required limit types for parameters on the DMRs. (Some facilities with special calculation instructions will have to calculate values based on specific permit requirements.) REMEMBER: You must review and confirm the calculated values prior to submittal. You'll receive an email verifying submittal of the DMR.
Quick tips: Filling out sample values and DMRs
|No discharge/no flow||
|Cancel in-progress sample values; or DMR or sample values spreadsheet are listed "in progress"||To start over, click "My Workspace Tab" under "My Services in Progress," and click the red X. Make sure you are cancelling the DMR and not your facility!|
|DMR submitted prior to sample values, and sample values no longer an option for the monitoring period||The sample values spreadsheet must be included as an attachment to the DMR.|
|No chlorine used; no results for a parameter||Leave the boxes blank on the sample values and DMR forms and add a note to the DMR indicating that you did not chlorinate or that monitoring wasn't done. Do not put "0" or "NA" in the parameter boxes.|
|Reporting releases||In months when there was a release, complete the release sampling report and attach it to the DMR. Find a blank form below in both Excel and Word formats.|
Attachments to DMRs
- Discharge Evaluation Report
- Mercury supplemental form
- Pond Weekly Observations Forms (Word form)
- Pond Weekly Observations Forms (Excel form)
- Release Sampling Report (Word form)
- Release Sampling Report (Excel form)
- Water Treatment Plant subsurface disposal system weekly observation form (wq-wwprm7-53)
- Account management reference guide (wq-wwprm7-100)
- Electronic Signature Submittal Agreement/Water Quality Signatory Registration Form (wq-wwprm7-100a)
- e-Services: Request to Remove Account Holder Authorization (wq-wwprm7-100b)
- Video: Creating a new MPCA e-Service account (for wastewater operators)
- Calculation of geometric mean
- Permit Calculations and Definitions
- NPDES Data Reporting Memo, April 2005 Guidance for reporting nondetect values on DMRs.
- DMR Quick Reference Guide
- Video: Sample values spreadsheet tutorial
- Video: Instructions for amending the MPCA DMR reports
When are DMRs due?
Accurate, timely reporting is essential in complying with the NPDES permit. DMRs are due by the 21st of the month following the monitoring period (e.g., January's DMR is due February 21).
Water Quality Submittal Center
Most reports and submittals can now be received electronically to the WQ Submittals Center. The majority of these WQ Submittals can now be emailed.
Please follow these steps:
- Fill out the WQ Submittals Form (see below)
- Attach the form and Submittal to your email
- Send the email by the due date
Note: The MPCA will not deem the WQ Submittal as received unless the Water Quality Submittals form (wq-wwprm7-71) is also attached.
The EXCEPTION to this new electronic submittal process is:
- Pretreatment Annual Reports
- Whole Effluent Toxicity Tests (WET Tests)
These must still be submitted as paper copies to:
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
Attention: WQ Submittals Center
520 Lafayette Road North
St. Paul, MN 55155-4194
Access DMR data
Submitted wastewater DMR data is available for selected areas, times, or parameters via the Wastewater Data Browser, which is refreshed quarterly. The data is for reference only. Work with your compliance staff if you have DMR reporting questions. Download the data displayed on screen from the lower right corner. You can still submit an information request if the information you are looking for isn’t available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Wastewater Data Browser.
Contact your assigned compliance staff (see Municipal and Industrial Wastewater Facility Compliance and Enforcement Coverage Areas) or any of the data specialists: