How do I comply with the annual and monthly permit requirements?
This step will give you guidance on how comply with annual and monthly requirements, including employee training, filling out the annual report, and conducting monthly inspections
Implement annual employee training
Employee training should be a major component of any SWPPP. Employee training is also an integral part of other control measures. In order for the SWPPP to be effective, employees should be knowledgeable about stormwater BMPs, how to conduct training, how to manage spills, etc.
Document employee training
Be sure to document within the SWPPP a training schedule and the planned training frequency. Include a record of the trainer and the trainer’s organization (internal or external), as well as the names of trained individual(s) and dates that the individual(s) received training. This documentation can be either in the SWPPP or in a separate record.
Individuals that should be trained at least annually
- Employee(s) overseeing implementation of, revising, and amending the SWPPP;
- Employee(s) performing installation, inspection, maintenance and repair of BMPs;
- Employee(s) who work in areas of industrial activity subject to the permit; and,
- Employee(s) who conduct stormwater discharge monitoring
Training should cover the components and goals of the SWPPP
- Spill response procedures
- Good housekeeping
- Material management practices
- Stormwater discharge monitoring procedures
- BMP operation and maintenance
Consider attending a University of Minnesota training
The MPCA has joined with the University of Minnesota to offer a variety of training opportunities. For class options and locations, visit the University of Minnesota Erosion and Sediment Control Certification Program.
Fill out the annual report
How do I fill out and submit the annual report?
The 2020 annual report will be submitted online through e-Services.
What is required of the 2019 Annual Report?
Each annual report needs to cover those portions of the previous calendar year that the facility was authorized to discharge industrial stormwater.
Conduct monthly inspections
All facilities will have to perform a minimum of one monthly inspection at their facility. Facilities that have multiple sources of significant materials and large exposed square footage should consider additional inspections per month.
Inspections must include the following:
- An evaluation of the facility to determine that the SWPPP accurately reflects site conditions. At a minimum, inspect storage tank areas, waste disposal areas, maintenance areas, loading/unloading areas, and raw material, intermediate product, by-product and final product storage areas
- An evaluation of all structural and non-structural BMPs to determine effectiveness and proper function
- An evaluation of the facility to determine whether new exposed significant materials or activities have been added to the site since completion of the SWPPP
- During an inspection conducted during a runoff event, an evaluation of the stormwater runoff to determine if it is discolored or if other contaminants are visible in the runoff (e.g., oil and grease).
NOTE: At least one inspection must be performed during a runoff event.
Document monthly inspections
All inspections shall be documented and the following information shall be stored with the SWPPP and contain the following:
- Inspection date, time, and weather conditions
- Inspector name
- Inspection findings
- A description of any necessary corrective actions and a schedule for corrective action completion
For more information and guidance: Industrial stormwater site inspection form (wq-strm3-56)
Conduct impaired waters assessment
Every year, permittees should assess whether or not they discharge to impaired water(s). No later than 180 days following the approved listing of the impaired water, a facility shall begin the additional monitoring for the pollutant(s) of impairment or its appropriate surrogate.
- Refer to Multi-Sector General Permit for more information about monitoring requirements relating to impaired waters: 2020 Industrial Stormwater General Permit (wq-strm3-67i)
- Use the Impaired waters viewer for more information on impaired waters.