Sustainability is the commonsense notion that long-term prosperity and ecological health not only go together, they depend on one another. Or put another way, sustainability is about actions which are ecologically sound, economically viable, and socially just and humane.
Many individuals and organizations throughout the state are working to enhance economic and community vitality while protecting and restoring the natural environment. Check out the following resources to help make your community more sustainable:
- NextStep is for people interested in sustainability. You can post and search for information, find resources, look for jobs, find events and case studies, or get involved in ongoing discussions.
Communities and businesses
- Minnesota GreenCorps is a statewide program to help preserve and protect Minnesota’s environment while training a new generation of environmental professionals.
- RETAP employs skilled, retired professionals to provide facility assessments and community sustainability assistance to small businesses, institutions, and communities in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Technical Assistance Program helps Minnesota businesses develop and implement industry-tailored solutions that prevent pollution, maximize resources, and reduce energy use and costs to improve public health and the environment.
- Minnesota GreenStep Cities is a voluntary challenge, assistance, and recognition program to help cities achieve their sustainability and quality-of-life goals.