MPCA logo

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency

Search, View and Navigation

Beta - Dynamic

MPCA e-Services

tinyURL : mvri48a | ID : 2544Home   >   Air   >   Air Quality and Pollutants   >   Air pollutants   >   Fine particles   >   Regulating fine particles

main content


This page is a gateway to common regulatory information affecting stationary engines. These engines may be compression ignition (typically diesel) or spark ignition (typically gasoline or other gaseous fuels).

Even if engines are not subject to the regulations noted below, steps can be taken to help reduce emissions and their impact on our air quality. The following document shares some of these opportunities.

National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines (RICE) 40 CFR Part 63 Subpart ZZZZ

Does this rule apply to my facility? What are the requirements?

On January 30, 2013, the U.S. EPA updated the RICE NESHAP to incorporate final changes resulting from submitted technical information, legal challenges and petitions for reconsideration to the 2010 version of the standard. These changes took effect on April 1, 2013.

Of particular interest to many are changes to provisions for emergency engines.

More information on the rule from EPA:

NESHAP forms

Mailing instructions:

  • Non-Title 5 sources (i.e., those not needing a permit, or those with a registration, capped, or state permit):  Send the form to US EPA Region 5 in Chicago at the address found on the last page of the form.
  • Title 5 sources (major facilities): Send copies of the form to both the US EPA Region 5 in Chicago and the MPCA:
    Compliance Tracking Coordinator
    Data Analysis Unit, Data Services Section
    Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
    520 Lafayette Road North
    St. Paul, MN 55155-4194


New Source Performance Standards

On January 30, 2013, the U.S. EPA updated the New Source Performance Standard (NSPS) for Stationary Spark Ignition Internal Combustion Engines and the NSPS for Stationary Compression Ignition Internal Combustion Engines to ensure consistency with the RICE NESHAP. These changes take effect on April 1, 2013.

Stationary Spark Ignition Internal Combustion Engine (typically natural gas or gasoline)

Stationary Compression Ignition Internal Combustion Engine (typically diesel fuel)

Is my engine subject to these New Source Performance Standards?

Air permitting

Does my facility need an air emissions permit?

If your facility has the potential to emit (PTE) pollutants into the air in excess of certain thresholds, your facility will need either a state or a federal permit. Examples of processes and equipment that may require air permits.

In addition, there are categories of sources that require air permits because new or modified facilities in the categories are subject to federal New Source Performance Standards. The MPCA has several factsheets regarding air quality permitting.

If engines are your only source of air emissions, you may use this spreadsheet to calculate your PTE.

My facility already has an air emissions permit; do I need to amend my permit?

It depends if the engine is new or existing and the type of permit your facility has. See below.

Registration Permit Holders

If the engine's emissions are already included in a facility's registration permit, generally no action is necessary. However, if the engine is subject to New Source Performance Standard Subpart JJJJ or Subpart IIII and the engine's displacement is less than 30 liters per cylinder, you must notify the MPCA using forms SCP-01 and RP-03.

If your engine is subject to the NSPS Subpart IIII and the engine's displacement is 30 liters/cylinder or more you can no longer qualify for a registration permit. You must apply for a different type of air permit.

For Registration Option B, if the engine qualifies as an insignificant activity you still qualify for Option B. If the engine does not qualify as an insignificant activity, then you must obtain a new type of permit. Other options include a Registration Option C or D permit.

Other Permit Types (Non-Registration Permit)

Existing Engines

If the engine is subject to NESHAP Subpart ZZZZ, you may need to add the NESHAP to your permit by submitting an amendment application by a specific date if you have an EXPIRING permit - refer to Minn. Rule 7007.0400, subp. 3. Refer to the Change/Modification Application Forms (look for CH forms).

If the facility has a pending application with the MPCA for either an amendment or some type of operating permit, then there is a duty to supplement that application with the new applicable requirement - refer to Minn. Rule 7007.0600, subp.2.

New Engines

For registration (Option C and D), State General, and State Capped permit holders no permit amendments are necessary as long as the total facility emissions remain below permit limits.

Federal Part 70 general permit holders should follow the process outlined within their permit. (Update equipment list, account for the engine's emissions under the various caps, etc).

Federal Title 5 or Part 70 individual permit holders - Refer to the CH forms.

Who Can I Contact for More Information


  • NESHAP Subpart ZZZZ: NSPS Subpart JJJJ and NSPS Subpart IIII, Reza Bagherian, U.S. EPA Region 5, 312-886-0674

Air Permitting

  • Small Business Environmental Assistance Program 800-657-3938 or 651-282-6143.
Last modified on June 22, 2015 11:48