Minnesota's Impaired Waters and TMDLs
This project was conducted in phases. The first phase addressed four impairments for fecal coliform bacteria. Staff from Carver County led this TMDL project. The TMDL report was approved by the U.S. EPA on March 14, 2007. Carver County has incorporated TMDL results into local management activities as well as the Carver County Water Management Plan. Implementation efforts are underway and focus on the areas of manure management, animal feedlots, and septic system updates.
The second phase addressed five impairments for turbidity. This effort was again led by staff from Carver County. TMDL results will likewise be incorporated into local management activities as well as the Carver County Water Management Plan. The TMDL work concludes that the primary sources of turbidity are erosion within the stream channel and stormwater runoff from the landscape.
Map and location
Carver and Bevens Creeks are located in Carver County, southwest of the Twin Cities metro area, in Lower Minnesota River watershed in the Minnesota River Basin.
The four impairments listed below can be viewed on the Lower Minnesota Basin Map.
- Bevens Creek; Headwaters (Washington Lake) to Silver Creek
- Bevens Creek; Silver Creek to Minnesota River
- Carver Creek; Headwaters to Minnesota River
- Silver Creek; CD 32 to Bevens Creek
Approved fecal coliform TMDL and implementation plan
The TMDL report was approved by the U.S. EPA on March 14, 2007.
- Final TMDL Report (wq-iw7-04e)
- Fact Sheet (wq-iw7-04a)
- EPA Approval Letter (wq-iw7-04g)
- Implementation Plan (wq-iw7-04c)
Turbidity TMDLs and implementation plans
Separate reports were prepared for the Carver Creek and the Bevens Creek TMDLs.
- Final Bevens Creek Turbidity TMDL Report
- EPA Approval Letter for Bevens Creek Turbidity TMDL Report (September 20, 2012)
- Carver and Bevens Creek: TMDL Implementation Plan (July 24, 2013)
- Final Carver Creek Turbidity TMDL Report
- EPA Approval Letter for Carver Creek Turbidity TMDL Report (September 26, 2012)
- Carver Creek: TMDL Implementation Plan (July 24, 2013)
520 Lafayette Road N
St. Paul, MN 55155