Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) staff from the Voluntary Investigation and Cleanup (VIC) and Petroleum Brownfields (PB) programs provided technical oversight of the environmental investigation, cleanup, and redevelopment of the 0.95 acre 700 Central Site.
The site buildings were constructed in 1897 and 1909 for McLeod and Smith, Inc., a furniture manufacturing company. The buildings were later used by the LaBelle Safety Storage Company. Most site operations had ceased by the early 2000s.
Environmental issues and the Cleanup process
- Soil was contaminated with tricholoroethene (TCE), arsenic, lead, mercury, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and petroleum compounds.
- About 16,181 tons of contaminated soil was excavated and disposed of at a permitted landfill.
Redevelopment of the site
- The site buildings were renovated into urban lofts with commercial/retail space on the street level.
- A pavilion and plaza were constructed.
- The Site is now occupied by the 700 Central urban lofts with associated underground and surface parking and several commercial/retail businesses on the street level.
Environmental and economic benefits
- Contaminated soil was removed from the site and risks have been managed.
- October 28, 2011 – Approval of Response Action Plan.
- October 8, 2014 – Approval of a Response Action Plan Modification.
- August 11, 2017 – Approval of Implementation Report & Completion of Voluntary Response Actions.
- Forthcoming – No Further Action Determination.
- None required.
- MPCA VIC and PB program staff included John Betcher, Shanna Schmitt, and Mark Koplitz.
- The environmental consultants was Christopher Thompson of Braun Intertec Corporation.
- Public funding sources included:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 5 Brownfields provided 128(a) grant to MPCA for sub-grants for property assessment
- Minnesota Department of Employee and Economic Development (DEED), Hennepin County, and the Metropolitan Council provided Contamination Cleanup Grants.