MPCA requesting comments on Clay County feedlot expansion

Contact: Dan Olson, 218-846-8108

Lake Park, Minn. — The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) invites the public to review and comment on an Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) and feedlot permit for the proposed expansion of a poultry feedlot in Clay County. Comments are being accepted through March 4. Comments for the EAW and permit need to be submitted separately.

The Baers Poultry Company. has proposed adding an additional barn for pullets (young chickens, birth to 17 weeks), a manure storage barn and a well to their existing operation located about three miles south of Highway 10 between Hawley and Lake Park. The new pullet barn will be 460’ by 59’ and house up to 200,000 pullets. It will be adjacent to an existing pullet barn with a capacity of 135,000 pullets. The new manure barn will be 200 feet by 40 feet.

The facility will continue to be a total confinement operation, meaning that all manure generated at the site is collected, carried and stored under cover. Once the manure dries sufficiently, it is sold as fertilizer.

The EAW is a preliminary environmental review of how a proposed project could potentially affect the environment. The EAW also helps the MPCA determine whether a more in-depth environmental review, known as an Environmental Impact Statement, is needed.

Copies of the EAW and public notice are posted on the MPCA website. Copies of both documents are also available for review at the MPCA Detroit Lakes office and the MPCA St. Paul office. To request a paper copy of the EAW, call Beth Tegdesch at 651-757-2100.

Comments on the EAW should be submitted in writing by 4:30 p.m., March 4, 2015, to Nancy Drach, MPCA, 520 Lafayette Road North, St. Paul, MN 55155 (email:; phone: 651-757-2317). Comments on the permit should be submitted by the same date and time to Scott Schroeder, MPCA, 714 Lake Ave. Ste. 220, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501 (email:; phone: 218-846-8134). Comments must be in writing, and comments received after the deadline will not be considered.

Additional information on the environmental review process is available on the Environmental Quality Board website.