Contact: Cathy Rofshus, 507-206-2608
Note: After a legal challenge to the proposed extension, Ramsey County District Court upheld the MPCA’s authority to extend the deadline and it stands at Nov. 15, 2018.
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has extended the public comment period on its environmental review and draft permit for a dairy expansion in Winona County. The MPCA will receive comments through Nov. 15 at 4:30 p.m. on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet and draft permit for Daley Farms of Lewiston. The agency extended the public comment period by two weeks due to requests from many citizens.
The agency will still hold an informational meeting on the proposal starting with an open house at 6 p.m. Oct. 16 at the Lewiston Community Center at 75 Rice St. Presentations explaining the proposal, MPCA environmental review and feedlot permitting will begin at 6:30 p.m., followed by time for questions from the public. If interested parties cannot make the meeting, they are welcome to call MPCA staff listed below for more information, as well as review the worksheet and permit materials online.
Daley Farms of Lewiston is proposing a major expansion of its dairy operation, increasing its herd from 1,728 cows and calves to 4,628 total. The MPCA and other state agencies use a measurement called an Animal Unit to equalize manure output from different types of animals. Animal Units at Daley Farms would increase from 2,275 to 5,968.
Daley Farms owns and operates three dairy sites in Utica Township, Winona County. Daley intends to expand its existing dairy at one site, close a second site, and install open-lot runoff controls at the third site. The expansion at the main site would include a total confinement barn with 3,000 dairy cows, a rotary milking parlor, a manure storage basin, a feed storage pad, and stormwater runoff controls.
State agencies use the Environmental Assessment Worksheet to help decide whether a project requires a more extensive Environmental Impact Statement. The worksheet covers site location details, nearby resources and other elements, including wells, soil types, water use, manure management, air and odor emissions, and traffic.
- Environmental Assessment Worksheet — Available on the MPCA's Environmental Assessment Worksheet webpage, or contact project manager Kim Grosenheider at 651-757-2170 or email@example.com.
- Draft state and federal feedlot permit — Go to the MPCA's Public Notice webpage and then scroll down to Oct. 1. Or contact MPCA permit writer Mark Gernes at 507-206-2643 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information:
- Environmental review — Kim Grosenheider at 651-757-2170 or email@example.com.
- Draft permit — Mark Gernes at 507-206-2643 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To comment on both the environmental assessment worksheet and the permit:
- Comment online using this weblink: http://survey.mn.gov/s.asp?k=153730433478.
- Send comments by mail to Kim Grosenheider, MPCA, 520 Lafayette Road N., St. Paul, MN 55155-4194.