Above: The last of 44 buildings on the TCAAP Superfund site nears its end. The demolition clears the way for final cleanup and redevelopment.
On June 6, 1944, on the beaches of Normandy, the U.S. and its allies began their invasion of Nazi-occupied France. It was the beginning of the end of World War II in Europe.
Today, 70 years later, in Arden Hills, dignitaries took a ceremonial sledgehammer to a building at the former Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP). It was the beginning of the end for this, the last of 44 buildings that have been removed from the site over the past year.
Since April 2013, when Ramsey County purchased 427 acres of the TCAAP site — officially the New Brighton/Arden Hills/TCAAP Superfund Site — significant progress has been made in readying the site for redevelopment.
Soil and groundwater at TCAAP became contaminated during the U.S. Army’s use of the site to manufacture small arms ammunition for World War II and the Korean and Southeast Asia conflicts.
Ramsey County intends to clean up soil at the site so it is suitable for residential use. This is over and above the level of cleanup required of the U.S. Army under its Superfund obligations. The MPCA’s Brownfield Program is providing oversight of Ramsey County’s environmental investigation and cleanup plan.
The army will continue to operate and maintain all groundwater cleanup systems and perform all groundwater monitoring at the site, under the oversight of MPCA and EPA Superfund programs.
For more information
Above: Elected officials take a ceremonial sledgehammer to the last remaining building on the TCAAP Superfund site.