With six state/regional agencies involved with water and each having separate websites, trying to understand what information is available and where you can find it is a problem.
To make it easier for people to find what information the State of Minnesota has available on-line about water, a Key Water Information (KWI) Catalogue webpage of links has been set up. The KWI Catalogue lists links to key water information at all six Minnesota agencies’ websites:
- Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR)
- Metropolitan Council
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)
- Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR)
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)
These agencies when combined together have quite a bit of information related to water. The goal in making the KWI Catalogue was to keep the list of agency water links small, understandable, and useful. Consequently the KWI Catalogue is not a comprehensive listing of all Minnesota agency water information links, but a listing of links to key water information and tools. Once you select a key water link in the KWI Catalogue to an agency web page, there are links on that webpage that will take you to greater detail.
Even by selecting only what was considered key water information at the agencies, the KWI Catalogue ended up with 28 agency water related links in it. So to help people find the water information link they might be interested in, the list has been arranged into four water subjects; Surface Water, Groundwater and Drinking Water, Geographic Information, and Water Implementation Programs and Information.
- Surface Water lists agency links to information about streams, rivers, lakes, wetlands, and the watersheds that contain them. The type of water information that can be found includes water body locations, water quality and quantity, planning, fishing advisories, wastewater treatment, restoration efforts, and other information.
- Groundwater and Drinking Water contains information about drinking water quality, wells, and potential agricultural contamination.
- Geographic Information has links to agency information about spatial and locational mapping data related to wetlands, streams, lakes, aquifers, wells, , and watersheds.
- Water Implementation Programs and Information lists agency links for the Best Management Practice (BMP) programs that prevent pollution from entering our lakes, rivers, and streams, enhance fish and wildlife habitat, and protect wetlands. In addition there is a link to a source for articles about water research related to Minnesota.
Below each information source web link in the KWI Catalogue there is an “Expand for more information…“ option. When this is clicked it gives more information about the information source the link is pointing to.
Check it out
Most of the main water-related web pages at MPCA now have a link to the KWI Catalogue. The other agencies involved have added or are adding links to the KWI Catalogue on their main water related web pages.