Amendments to Minnesota Rules Chapters 7002, 7005, 7007, 7008, 7009, 7011, 7017, and 7019
The MPCA is planning amendments to rules governing air quality, Minnesota Rules chapters 7002, 7005, 7007, 7008, 7009, 7011, 7017, and 7019. The Request for Comments on this rulemaking was published in the State Register on Dec. 14, 2020. A copy of the notice and comments received are available below under rulemaking documents.
This rulemaking, referred to as the Air Quality Housekeeping Rule (R-04678), is part of an ongoing effort to maintain and improve the MPCA’s existing rules. The overall purpose of the rulemaking is to keep the air quality rules current, ensure consistency with applicable federal and state regulations, clarify ambiguous rule language, and correct gaps or errors identified while administering the rules. This rulemaking is needed to maintain the delegation from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to implement and enforce certain provisions of the Clean Air Act in Minnesota, including the Title V operating permit program.
The proposed rule will most likely have two main parts.
Part 1: Housekeeping rules. Various rule updates are necessary to account for changes in federal rules, to clarify existing language, and ease overall understanding of the rules. This rulemaking includes:
- Amendments relating to requesting modeling information from Option C, D, and capped permit holders under Chapter 7007.
- Incorporation by reference of federal performance standards for municipal waste combustors to retire waste combustor emission limit variances under Chapter 7011.
- Evaluating the adoption of rules to incorporate federal emission guidelines controlling greenhouse gas emissions from coal-fired electric generating units (“Affordable Clean Energy” (ACE) rule 40 CFR Part 60 Subp. UUUUa)
- Amendments to clarify air quality protection program terms and definitions under various rule chapters.
Part 2: Trichloroethylene (TCE) rules. The 2020 Minnesota Legislature enacted a ban on the use of TCE through the air quality permitting program. The MPCA intends to adopt rule provisions to implement the ban.
|Publish Request for Comments (RFC)||State Register: Dec. 14, 2020|
|Stakeholder engagement||Pending - stakeholder meetings to be determined|
|Publish Dual Notice of proposed rules||September 2021|
Final adoption of rules:
Links to related materials
- Chapter 7002: Air Emission Permit Fees
- Chapter 7005: Definitions and Abbreviations
- Chapter 7007: Air Emission Permits
- Chapter 7008: Exempt Air Emissions
- Chapter 7009: Ambient Air Quality Standards
- Chapter 7011: Standards for Stationary Sources
- Chapter 7017: Monitoring and Testing Requirements
- Chapter 7019: Emission Inventory Requirements
Questions about the rule amendments or technical aspects of the rule: Anne Jackson, email@example.com or 651-757-2460
Questions about the rule process or schedule: Mary H. Lynn, firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-757-2439