The MPCA is no longer accepting applications for Part 70 Low-emitting Facility (LEF) General Permits. The LEF Permit will expire on April 30, 2020. Because of the rescission of “Once in Always in” and the promulgation of additional conditionally exempt source categories in Minnesota Rules Chapter 7008, the MPCA does not plan to replace the LEF permit. Current LEF general permit holders will be required to apply for a new permit or become a conditionally exempt source by November 2, 2019; permittees may still continue to operate their facility after the expiration date of the permit, as long as they have applied for a replacement option by Nov. 2.
We expect most current LEF holders to be eligible for one of the following:
If you have any questions please contact Beckie Olson @ 651-757-2123.
The Part 70 Low-emitting Facility (LEF) General Permit is primarily intended for businesses with high potential emissions and low actual emissions that began operating without an air permit. Examples of businesses that are likely to apply are auto-body shops, metal fabrication facilities, cabinet shops, other businesses that coat or paint, and facilities that have engines, boilers or tanks on site. However, anyone can apply. Target facilities may have:
- constructed a major source under the New Source Review (NSR) program and/or;
- constructed and operated a major source of hazardous air pollutants.
If a facility has potential emissions that exceed major source thresholds for either program, they will likely be:
- subject to BACT-equivalent requirements;
- subject to major source NESHAPs; and
- unlikely to qualify for a Registration Permit.
The Low-emitting Facility permit includes BACT-equivalent requirements, and major and area source NESHAPs.
Low-emitting Facility general permits that have been issued
The table below contains information for current LEF general permit holders. Due to the length of this permit only the first two pages are included for each facility. The full permit document and TSD can be accessed in the permit documents section below.
Master Composites Inc.
Henning; Otter Tail
|Jordan Transformer||Jordan; Scott||3612||13900123-001||6/3/2015|
|Equipment Rental Company||Duluth; St. Louis||3479||13700340-001||6/16/2015|
|CarMax #6008||Brooklyn Park; Hennepin||5511||05301249-001||9/9/2015|
|Waterous||South St. Paul; Dakota||3491||12300687-005||9/7/2015|
|Pro Line Painting||Minneapolis; Hennepin||2431||05300976-101||1/27/2016|
|Door Engineering and Manufacturing||Kasota; Le Sueur||3442||07900054-101||11/28/2016|
|ColorWare Inc.||Winona; Winona||3479||16900094-101||2/10/2016|
|Pro Blast Technology, Inc||Keewatin; Itasca||3479||06100080-101||11/29/2016|
|JJ's Industrial Painting Inc.||Ham Lake; Anoka||3479||00300256-101||1/10/2017|
|Minnesota Corrugated Box Inc||Albert Lea; Freeborn||2657||04700066-101||1/26/2017|
|Molex – Savage||Savage; Scott||3679||13900132-101||2/3/2017|
|Minnesota Power – Herbert Service Center||Duluth; St. Louis||4931||13700346-101||5/16/2017|
|Hansen & Company Woodworks Inc.||St. Joseph; Stearns||2434||14500187-102||5/25/2017|
|Scott Equipment Co.||Arlington; Sibley||3499||14300023-101||7/11/2017|
|States Electric Manufacturing Corp.||Minneapolis; Hennepin||3613||05301262-101||7/27/2017|
|Paragon Store Fixtures||Big Lake; Sherburne||2541||14100078-101||12/13/2018|
|Coloplast Corporation||North Mankato; Nicollet||2834||10300043-101||12/18/2018|
Does the permit expire?
Yes, this permit will expire on April 30, 2020. Since the permit will not be renewed, you will have to apply for a different permit or become a conditionally exempt source by November 2, 2019.
A link to electronic versions of the permit and the technical support document are provided below. Please be aware that the general permit is designed to be flexible. It incorporates requirements for a wide range of operations, and allows a Permittee to make changes to their facility without requesting a modification to the permit. This flexibility results in a lengthy permit.
- Final Part 70 Low-emitting Facility General Permit — Official (4/30/15)
- Final Technical Support Document (4/30/15)
Because of the permit length, and because it is unlikely that all of the permit content will apply to your facility, a link to a Word document that you can download, edit and use as a tool for compliance is also provided. The Word document contains an index to help you navigate through the permit by holding the CONTROL key, and clicking on the section you want to see.
You could use this document by deleting sections that you know do not apply to you, to make it easier to follow the requirements that do apply. Note that this is not your official permit. If you make any changes to your facility and think that other portions of the permit might apply, then you must refer to the official (entire) document.
The following are sections of the final permit. The purpose of providing the permit in this format is to enable users to access the permit in manageable parts, and to more easily disregard those sections of the permit that may not be applicable to a given facility.
- Low-emitting facility general permit: Table of Contents and Introduction
- Table A.1 Total Facility Requirements
- Table A.2 Degreasers and Cleaning Machines
- Table A.3 Material Usage and Processing Operations (Non-Fiberglass)
- Table A.4 Fiberglass Operations
- Table A.5 Engines
- Table A.6 Boilers
- Table A.7 Storage Tanks
- Table A.8 Direct Heating Equipment
- Table A.9 Fabric Filters
- Table A.10 Wall or Panel Filters
- Table A.11 Thermal Oxidizers
- Table A.12 Catalytic Oxidizers
- Table B Submittals
- Table C Compliance Schedule
- Appendix A Required Source Specific Calculations
- Appendix B General Provisions index and General Requirements
- Appendix C Supplemental Information for NESHAP subp. T
- Appendix D Supplemental Information for NESHAP subp. MMMM
- Appendix E Supplemental Information for NESHAP subp. PPPP
- Appendix F Supplemental Information for NESHAP subp. WWWW
- Appendix G Supplemental Information for NESHAP subp. NNNN
- Appendix H Supplemental Information for NESHAP subp. QQQQ
- Appendix I Supplemental Information for NESHAP subp. RRRR
- Appendix J Supplemental Information for NSPS subp. EE
- Appendix K Insignificant Activities
- LECR-04 — Annual Compliance Certification Report — LEF General Permit (revised 1/9/15)
- 4M-01 — Initial Notification Report – Surface Coating of Miscellaneous Metal Parts and Products (NESHAP Subpart MMMM) — LEF General Permit (revised 1/2/15)
MPCA resources for calculating emissions
See the MPCA Emission Calculations webpage for detailed information.