In December 2020, MPCA issued a Notice of Intent to Adopt Rule with a Hearing for the Clean Cars Minnesota rule.
What this means for Minnesotans
- The MPCA is planning to adopt a new rule.
- No immediate changes to MPCA rules will go into effect.
- A new comment period has opened, and you can submit your questions, comments, and feedback to the administrative law judge (ALJ) assigned to this rulemaking by 4:30 p.m. on March 15, 2021.
- The next step in the rulemaking process is a public hearing held by the ALJ on February 22 and 23, 2021, beginning at 3 p.m. both days.
Visit the official rulemaking page for more information on how to share your feedback, what to expect, and details for the public hearing.
Helpful tips for participating during the notice period
I’d like to read the proposed rule language. Where can I find it?
- The notice includes the proposed rule language. The notice was published in the December 21, 2020, edition of the State Register, and is available on the MPCA website: Clean Cars Minnesota rulemaking.
Where can I learn more about MPCA’s analysis of the proposed rule?
- Read the statement of need and reasonableness (SONAR), which is a comprehensive overview of the MPCA’s analysis and assessment of the proposed rule and its potential costs and benefits. Available on the MPCA website: Clean Cars Minnesota rulemaking.
- You can also attend a virtual public information session hosted by MPCA staff, where we’ll walk through the basics – more information below.
What’s the difference between the public information sessions and the public hearing?
- The public hearing is an official administrative proceeding, and it is scheduled and run by the ALJ assigned to this rulemaking. You can choose to participate in the public hearing or you can simply watch online.
- Public information sessions are informal, virtual presentations given by MPCA staff to help you understand the proposed rule.
- Dates, times, and more information about attending the public hearing and MPCA’s information sessions are available here: Clean Cars Minnesota rulemaking.
If you have any questions about this rulemaking, contact firstname.lastname@example.org