The Legislature laid out several tasks in the May 2008 Omnibus Supplemental Budget bill (2008 Minnesota Laws, Chapter 363, Article 5).
Pursuant to those directives, the MPCA has convened a group mandated under that language, called the Construction, Demolition, and Industrial Landfill (CDIL) Work Group, as described below. Under the legislation the MPCA is providing staff support. Also pursuant to the law, the MPCA will undertake subsequent rulemaking on landfill siting and financial assurance, as described below. Following is a summary of the process as laid out by the Legislature.
The Work Group successfully completed its charge to deliver the following report to the Legislature on January 15, 2009:
- Management of Industrial Solid Waste and Construction and Demolition Debris in Land Disposal Facilities
Report to the Legislature by the CDIL Work Group (2008 Minnesota Session Laws, Chapter 363, Art. 5, sec. 34)
- The Work Group charge: "to develop, evaluate, and recommend policies and legislation regarding the management of industrial solid waste and construction and demolition debris in land disposal facilities." The Work Group will write its own report to the Legislature.
- Work Group members are appointed by the MPCA Commissioner.
- The law requires the Work Group to have membership from the following sectors: counties, State agencies, private landfill owners, waste haulers, environmental organizations, and other interested parties. Commissioner Moore initially named these members: [pending Web format, final list in process].
- The Work Group had an organizational meeting on July 14, 2008, and has begun meeting at three week intervals.
- The deadline for the Work Group to deliver its report to the Legislature is January 15, 2009.
Followup work by MPCA after January 15, 2009
The MPCA expects to invite some members of the Work Group to join a subsequent stakeholder group to advise MPCA rulemaking to satisfy the following legislative directive: the rule is to include landfill siting and financial assurance to reduce risks to ground water (see Article 5, sec. 24). By January 15, 2010, the MPCA is to deliver a report to the Legislature "on proposed rules, under Minnesota Statutes, section 116.07, subdivision 4, to prohibit the disposal of solid waste in specific areas due to the sensitivity of the area to groundwater contamination" (see Article 5, sec. 33). Following its January 15, 2010, rule progress report the MPCA expects to enter rulemaking.
- Meeting #1, July 14, 2008, MPCA Rooms 2A - 2B
- Meeting #2, August 4, 2008, St. Cloud Kelly Inn
- Meeting #3, August 25, 2008, MPCA Training Room 2
- Meeting Agenda [pending Web format]
- Solid Waste History - PowerPoint presentation by Lisa Thorvig, MPCA
- CDI waste composition and landfills - PowerPoint presentation by Neal Wilson, MPCA
- Coal ash composition - PowerPoint presentation by Roger Clarke, Xcel
- Hydrogeology and landfills - PowerPoint presentation by Neal Wilson, MPCA
- Hydrogeology - PowerPoint presentation by Bob Tipping, MN Geological Survey
- Hydrogeology - PowerPoint presentation by Jan Falteisek, MN DNR [pending Web format]
- Waste acceptance at industrial landfill - PowerPoint presentation by Mike Fullerton, SKB
- Poster notes from August 25 meeting (PDF - JRC will finish this Word document) [pending Web format]
- Meeting #4, September 18, 2008, MPCA Training Room 2
- Meeting #6, October 30, 2008, MPCA Room 1-2.
Materials Shared with the Work Group
- 20030000 CDIL analysis of demo landfill data, Mike Trojan
- 20070000 CDIL Summary Annual Report Data, Don Kriens
- 20080600 CDIL extract from 2008 MS Laws
- 20080714 CDIL meeting agenda
- 20080714 CDIL poster notes
- 20080714 CDIL PP kick off
- 20080717 CDIL workgroup members
- 20080804 CDIL meeting agenda
- 20080804 CDIL poster notes
- 20080825 CDIL poster notes
- 20080825 CDIL ppt design-composition-chemistry
- 20080825 CDIL ppt geology
- 20080825 CDIL ppt hist of SW mgmt milestones
- 20080825 CDIL ppt hydrog-reqs for permit
- 20080825 CDIL ppt Xcel ash
- 20080825 CDIL Rosemount indust waste accept
- 20080918 CDIL engineering issues
- 20080918 CDIL meeting agenda
- 20081009 CDIL monitoring liners summary, Neal Wilson
- 20081009 CDIL monitoring liners summary ppt, Neal Wilson
- 20081009 CDIL PCA views, Lisa Thorvig
- 20081009 CDIL Summary of 2003 Ground Water Study of Demolition, Mike Trojan
- 20081015 CDIL monitored SW demo, Neal Wilson
- 20080825 CDIL ppt MDNR sensitivity maps for CDI landfills, Jan Falteisek
MPCA Guidance Documents
- Guidance: Demolition Landfills
- Guidance: Demolition LF final cover
- Guidance: Using IWEM, the industrial waste evaluation model
- Guidance: Industrial LF and demo LF liner design
- Template: Industrial Solid Waste Management Plans for C&D LFs
- Guidance: Financial assurance at landfills
- Program Management decision: on case-by-case evaluation of financial assurance needs at industrial LFs
- Evaluation form: Hydrogeological considerations when siting demo landfills
- Current Solid Waste rules at Revisor of Statutes Web site
- Analysis of Data from Demolition Landfills in Minnesota by Mike Trojan