Technical assistance for preventing pollution
Technical assistance is available for existing and new businesses that seek to improve environmental performance and prevent pollution.
- Small Business Environmental Assistance Program provides free, confidential, environmental assistance to small businesses.
- Minnesota RETAP employs skilled, retired professionals to provide no-cost, non-regulatory facility assessments to small businesses and public and private institutions.
- Environmental Audit Program encourages industries, businesses, and governments to examine how well a facility's operations are complying with local, state, and federal environmental regulations, and correct any problems that are identified.
- Training is an integral part of helping people understand and comply with the rules and regulations which they must follow.
- Environmental management systems tackle a broad range of issues beyond basic compliance such as energy and water use, transportation, packaging, and even the performance of suppliers.
Other Minnesota programs
The MPCA provides financial support to several technical assistance providers in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Technical Assistance Program is located at the University of Minnesota, and provides on-site and telephone assistance, interns, an information clearinghouse, and a coordinating role in the state materials exchange program. MnTAP's services to Minnesota businesses and organizations has substantial economic and environmental benefits.
- Minnesota Waste Wise is a non-profit assistance program of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. It is designed to help businesses develop effective waste reduction and recycling programs and find new markets for waste materials.
- Minnesota Materials Exchange is a free service that connects businesses that have reusable goods to those who can use them. The Materials Exchange can help you find low or no-cost materials, save money on disposal costs and find new markets for surplus materials.
- Enterprise Minnesota helps manufacturing companies become operationally efficient and well positioned to grow profitably.
- Energy Business Center, a program of the Minnesota Department of Commerce offers assistance to businesses on energy efficient technologies.
Regional and national organizations
- Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable is a professional organization dedicated to promoting information exchange and networking in the Great Lakes regions. Members include federal, state and local environmental and business development agencies, industry and associations, labor unions, environmental advocacy groups, nonprofit research centers and technical assistance providers.
- National Pollution Prevention Roundtable is a national forum that promotes the development, implementation, and evaluation of efforts to avoid, eliminate, or reduce waste generated to air, land, and water.
- GreenBiz.com works to harness the power of technology to bring environmental information, resources and tools to the mainstream business community.
- Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Research Center provides professional and technical expertise in solving problems that lead to a healthier and more sustainable environment, while helping businesses improve their economic performance.
- WasteWise helps organizations and businesses apply sustainable materials management practices to reduce municipal and select industrial wastes.