Deformed frogs in Minnesota
Deformed frogs have been found in Minnesota and in other parts of the country. They were being studied by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and other government agencies to determine the cause of the deformities. However, as of July 1, 2001, funding for the MPCA to work with deformed frogs was discontinued. Some federal agencies are continuing to work on the problem.
Deformed frogs were discovered in Minnesota in 1995. The MPCA researched the problem from 1997 through 2000. As of July 2001, the MPCA is no longer funded by the Minnesota Legislature to continue deformed frog research.
To learn more about where the deformed frogs were first found, why we are concerned about the deformed frogs, what is being done about the problem and what you can do to help solve the frogs, visit the Background Info on Deformed Frogs in Minnesota page. Or visit our Frequently Asked Questions about Frogs page.
Photos of deformed frogs are available at:
- Citizen Reports of Malformed Frogs in Minnesota
A summary of the number and location of malformed frogs found and reported by Minnesota citizens from 1996 to 1999.
- Investigation of Minnesota's Deformed Frogs - 1997 Legislative Fact Sheet
- Notes from the Field Past Issues:
- Minnesota New Country School Frog Project (These are the kids that first found deformed frogs in Minnesota.)
- A Thousand Friends of Frogs
- FrogWeb: Amphibian Decline and Deformities - The National Biological Information Infrastructure
- Frog Calls -- Online videos of frogs calling in their natural environments.
- Great Lakes Declining Amphibians Work Group
- Hop to it! Irish Peatland Conservation Council's Frog Survey and Information Page
- North American Amphibian Monitoring Program
- North American Reporting Center for Amphibian Malformations
- US Geological Survey - Fact Sheet on Malformed Frogs in Minnesota
- Studies offer new insights into causes of deformed frogs. August 17, 2009, MinnPost Article (reprinted with permission)
There are a variety of volunteer monitoring opportunities available where you can collect and submit information about your local amphibian populations.
For more information about deformed frogs in Minnesota, call the MPCA at 651-296-6300 or 800-657-3864. Or visit the following pages on this Web site: