The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) is the state agency for regulating animal feedlots in Minnesota. In addition, counties may be delegated by the MPCA to administer the program for feedlots that are not under federal regulation.
Although HF1 has impacted all agency application processing and you will see changes to most of the forms used for the applications, feedlot permit applications will continue to be reviewed following the requirements laid out in Minn. Stat. 15.99, as they are more restrictive than the March 3, 2011 amendments to Minn. Stat. 116.03, Subd. 2b.
To help reduce the amount of time required to process feedlot permit applications, the Feedlot Program has developed standardized forms that must be used when an permit application is submitted. These forms can be found on the Feedlot Permit Information and Application Forms page.
- Feedlot Program Overview
- Feedlot Rule, Policies
- List of Submitted Feedlot NPDES Permit Public Notices
- Individual NPDES Permit Public Notices and Draft Permit - listed on Public Notice page
- Feedlot Permit Information and Application Forms
- 2013 Feedlot Wall Calendar
- County Feedlot Program
- Related Links
NPDES/SDS Annual Report form due March 1, 2013:
- NPDES/SDS Annual Report Form (wq-f3-22b)
MPCA regulates the collection, transportation, storage, processing and disposal of animal manure and livestock processing activities, and provides assistance to counties and the livestock industry. The rules apply to all aspects of livestock production areas including the location, design, construction, operation and management of feedlots, feed storage, stormwater runoff, and manure handling facilities.
The MPCA has many factsheets and technical guidance documents and can provide assistance by phone.
If you have questions about the MPCA County Feedlot Program, please contact Don Hauge at MPCA (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 651-757-2855) or Wayne Zellmer at the Board of Water and Soil Resources (e-mail: email@example.com, phone: 651-297-7361). For feedlot training, see the Training and Events page.
The MPCA staff listed below serve specific areas of the state. They are responsible for activities including permitting, inspections, and compliance/enforcement. In delegated counties, the county issues permits for facilities that do not require federal permits; MPCA is responsible for permitting of facilities. In non-delegated counties, the MPCA is responsible for all permitting. The map below shows area of primary responsibility for the MPCA compliance and assistance staff.
Regional Office Staff
Steve Schmidt, 507-206-2618
Paul Brietzke, 507-206-2616
Kate Brigman, 507-344-5241
Wayne Cords, 507-344-5245 — east unit supervisor
Sara Isebrand, 507-344-5263
Mark Jacobs, 507-476-4263 — west unit supervisor
Ben Crowell, 507-476-4261
Brent Riess, 507-476-4268
Randy Hukriede, 320-441-6966 — manager
Jerry Holien, 320-441-6967
George Schwint, 320-441-6971 — engineer
Toby Sunderland, 320-441-6970 — engineer
Forrest Peterson, 320-441-6972 — public information
- Detroit Lakes
Mike Sharp, 218-846-8139
Molly Costin, 218-846-8114
Samantha Adams, 218-316-3892
Jessica Moore, 218-316-3915
- St. Paul
Kim Brynildson, 651-757-2250 — lead engineer
Don Hauge, 651-757-2855 — county program
Allison Remer, 651-757-2062
Hafiz Munir, 651-757-2595 — engineer
Courtney Ahlers-Nelson, 651-757-2783 — program development
County Feedlot Officers
- County Feedlot Officers. List of feedlot contacts for counties in Minnesota. Updated February 2009. Note: this file should be printed in landscape orientation on legal-size paper.
Other County Contact Information
- County Contact Information. This file contains a separate page for all 87 counties. Find a particular page by clicking on the county name on the list or map.
- Extension Manure and Air Quality Workshops
- Extension Manure Events Calendar
- County Feedlot Officer Toolbox
- Training and Events
- Minnesota Board of Animal Health
- Minnesota Department of Health Wellhead Protection Information
- Manure Education and Research Minnesota Extension Service.
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture — Feedlot Links
- Minnesota Environmental Quality Board Generic Environmental Impact Statement on Animal Agriculture
- Board of Water and Soil Resources. Provides cost share and technical assistance to farmers.
- Livestock and Poultry Environmental Stewardship Curriculum
- Resources on Minnesota Issues: Feedlots
- EPA Animal Feeding Operations
- EPA Producers Compliance Guide for CAFOs
- Natural Resources Conservation Service-Minnesota