Small Business Ombudsman
The Small Business Ombudsman is an independent entity responsible for reviewing environmental regulatory activities to ensure that they are fair, reasonable and appropriate for Minnesota's "small businesses" that have to comply with environmental regulations - independently owned and operated businesses with less than 100 employees.
This is accomplished by receiving and investigating complaints, mediating disputes, and representing small-business interests during rulemaking. The ombudsman also works with the Small Business Environmental Assistance Program to provide technical and educational assistance, and acts as a contact for small businesses looking for financial resources.
Assistance and resources
- Complaint handling
- Telephone hot-line (listed below)
- Small Business Environmental Assistance Program Brochure (same as Small Business Compliance Assistance Program)
- Small Business Environmental Improvement Loan Program
- Information on financial assistance resources
- Small Business Environmental Assistance Program Annual Report
- Outreach and education for regulated small businesses.
- Simplify and reduce the complexity of the regulatory process for small businesses.
- Build partnerships with trade associations, business groups, economic development programs, and other small business assistance providers.
- Deliver multi-media environmental assistance to Minnesota small businesses which includes strong pollution prevention components.
- Market and award loans through the Small Business Environmental Improvement Loan Program to help small businesses with their environmental projects.
- Help small businesses locate government and private financial assistance opportunities.
For more information about the Small Business Ombudsman, contact:
- Mike Nelson, 651-757-2121 or 800-985-4247.