Minnesota's Impaired Waters and TMDLs
TMDL Project: Poplar River — Turbidity
This project addresses one impairment for turbidity on a segment of the Poplar River, ending at Lake Superior. The Cook County Soil and Water Conservation District has partnered with the MPCA and is currently in the process of developing the TMDL. The Draft TMDL is targeted to be completed by 2011.
Map and Location
The Poplar River is located within the Lake Superior (North) Watershed.
TMDL Report and Implementation Plan
- Final TMDL Report
- EPA Approval Letter (December 11, 2013)
- TMDL Implementation Plan ((February 6, 2014)
- Poplar River Turbidity TMDL Comments on Public Notice
- Poplar River Turbidity TMDL Response to Comments
Reports to support the completion of the TMDL study:
- Poplar River Turbidity Assessment
- Poplar River Macroinvertebrate and Habitat Survey
- Poplar River Sediment Source Assessment March 2010
- Lower Poplar River Watershed Sediment Source Assessment 2013
Additional publications related to this project may be available on the Cook County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) and Lake Superior Streams project Web sites.
Meetings and Events
Regular updates on TMDL progress are presented at Cook County SWCD monthly meetings, see the Cook County SWCD Web site listed below for meeting dates and information.
See the TMDL Meetings, Events and News page for notices of general interest and event-related information on impaired waters/TMDLs.
- Cook County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Lake Superior Streams
- Lake Superior Basin
- Minnesota Basins
Karen Evens, Project Manager
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
525 Lake Avenue South
Duluth, MN 55802