Minnesota's impaired waters and TMDLs
Impaired waters viewer (IWAV)
Three views of water resource data are available in the IWAV:
- All impairments: All waters from the 2010 Minnesota impaired waters inventory (red) are shown in this view. This is the default.
- Approved TMDLs: Waters with US EPA approved TMDL studies are shown in this view. Waters in the state-wide mercury TMDL are not included in this view.
- Delisted impairments: Waters with previous impairments that now meet water quality standards due to corrective actions are shown in this view.
- Use the city search to find a city (example: St. Paul).
- Use the stream search or lake search to find a waterbody using name or AUID (example: Sunrise River or 02-0034-00).
- An AUID or Assessment Unit Identification number is an MPCA identification number that refers to all or part of a stream, lake or wetland.
- Place the cursor arrow over an impaired water body and click to get more information about it. In the pop up window that appears, click on the AUID link for additional information.
January 2009 maps of all impaired waters
Download older files from the online archive.
The zipped files below contain shapefiles which represent the current Inventory of Impaired Waters (per Section 303(d) Clean Water Act). These files were created for those interested in preparing computerized maps of impaired waters. To use these files you will need Geographic Information System (GIS) computer software. The zipped files contain a separate shapefile for lakes, streams and wetlands, including metadata. The projection for these shapefiles is UTM extended zone 15, NAD83. These shapefiles were created by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency using the 1:24,000 scale National Hydrography Dataset (NHD). If you have any questions or comments, please contact Jennifer Crea at 651-757-2294.
- Shapefile: TMDL/WRAPS project boundaries This zipped shapefile contains polygons representing the boundaries of Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) and Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategy (WRAPS) projects that have been approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This data is intended to be used in water resource management and impaired waters activities. The project polygons were compiled by the MPCA with input from external partners, and the data layer is updated when new TMDL/WRAPS are approved by EPA. The projection for this data layer is UTM Zone 15 North, NAD 1983.
303(d) Impaired waters - Lakes (2010) (file size = 8.2 MB)
303(d) Impaired waters - Wetlands (2010)
303(d) Impaired waters - Streams (2010) (file size = 9 MB)