The documents below provide information about water and water-quality issues in Minnesota.
Permit forms and fact sheets
Permit-related fact sheets
- Permitting Strategy for Addressing Mercury in Municipal and Industrial Wastewater Permits This fact sheet provides guidance for major facilities with mercury-monitoring requirements either included or proposed for inclusion in their NPDES/SDS water-quality permits.
- Environmental Management at Aggregate Operations Summary of pollution prevention opportunities and MPCA permitting requirements for aggregate operations. Some general information about permit programs administered by other agencies also is provided.
- Facts About Sewage Bypass A brief overview of the problems, causes, environmental impacts and prevention options associated with sewage overflows.
- Guidelines for wastewater-treatment facilities during a flood This fact sheet provides guidance for WWTF operators in preparing for potential floods and working to recover operation after a flood.
- Completing an NPDES/SDS Feedlot Permit Application Instructions to assist in the preparation of an application for an animal feedlot or manure storage area which requires a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)/State Disposal System (SDS) permit.
- NPDES/SDS Permits - Permitting Process for Surface-water Dischargers This fact sheet specifically discusses permitting for domestic-strength wastewater discharged into surface waters.
- Water-quality Permit Requirements for Wastewater Discharges to Ground Surface and Subsurface This fact sheet explains permitting for ground-surface and subsurface water discharges of wastewater.
- Water quality permitting for gravel mining and hot mix asphalt operations Explains the general water-quality permit that covers certain activities at gravel mining, stone quarrying and hot mix asphalt operations.
- Wastewater technical guidance documents. These publications provide technical information and guidance on topics ranging from design criteria for stabilization ponds to reliability for mechanical wastewater treatment plants. These documents are especially useful to municipal and industrial dischargers.
Program management decisions
Assistance fact sheets
- State Revolving Loan Program for Wastewater or Storm-water Facilities Information on how to receive low-interest loans through the state Revolving Loan Program for wastewater treatment projects.
- Overview of the Clean Water Partnership Program Overview of the Clean Water Partnership Program
- MPCA Financial Assistance Programs Addressing Non-Point Source Water Pollution MPCA administers three important financial assistance programs for watershed management of non-point source water pollution: the Clean Water Partnership grant and loan programs, and the federal Clean Water Act Section 319 program.
- Baseline Water Quality of Minnesota's Principal Aquifers
- Continuing Planning Process - State of Minnesota's Water Quality Management Program Section 303(e) of the federal Clean Water Act (CWA) requires each state to produce a Continuing Planning Process document describing the processes and procedures it uses in water quality planning. The objective of the state CPP is to establish a management program and provide a framework for establishing programmatic commitments and goals that will be contained in the Environmental Performance Partnership Agreement (EnPAA) and other plans prepared pursuant to the Clean Water Act. The purpose of the CPP is to document how the state will make its water quality management decisions. (Updated 2010, approved by EPA January 2011)
- Continuing Planning Process - State of Minnesota's Water Quality Management Program
- Impaired Waters and Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Reports
- Clean Water Revolving Fund
- Minnesota's Water Quality Monitoring Strategy (Sept 2011) - This report, prepared for the U.S. EPA, describes a ten-year plan for surface and ground water monitoring. The plan includes information on all types of monitoring — condition monitoring, problem investigation monitoring and effectiveness monitoring — along with a timeline for implementation.
- Lake water quality reports
- Protecting Water Quality in Urban Areas - Stormwater Best Management Practices Manual
- Stormwater and Wetlands - Planning and Evaluation Guidelines Planning and evaluation guidelines for addressing potential impacts of urban stormwater and snow-melt runoff on wetlands (1997).
- Stormwater and Wetlands - Planning and Evaluation Guidelines
- Watershed Achievements: Annual Report to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Clean Water Act Section 319 and Clean Water Partnership Projects in Minnesota
- Minnesota's Impaired Waters - 2003 Report to the Legislature - Appendices
- Whitewater River Watershed National Monitoring Program Project - Final report