Biological Monitoring: Seasonal Employment Opportunities
Interested in spending the summer outside exploring Minnesota’s water resources?
Each summer we hire seasonal positions to assist with biological monitoring of streams and wetlands.
What is required to be eligible for a summer internship position?
- Enrolled or recent graduate from an accredited college or university
- Coursework in the biology, environmental sciences or natural resources
- The ability to travel for up to three nights per week throughout the summer
- Capable of moderate physical exertion in summer heat, and capable of carrying up to 50 lbs. of sampling equipment
- Maintain a positive attitude within a team setting
Some of the methods you will be exposed to include:
- Fish collection using electro-fishing equipment
- Fish identification
- Macroinvertebrate collection
- Plant surveys
- Basic water-chemistry sampling techniques
- Flow measurement
- Physical habitat assessment
- GPS navigation