SBEAP Publications: Newsletters, Calendars and Guides
The Small Business Enterprise is a quarterly newsletter that covers compliance issues, pollution prevention and training. Plus, subscribers can get timely updates through GovDelivery.
- 2013 - Winter Inside: Small business VOC reduction; Clear Lake Press keeps on greening; MnTAP interns and solid waste trainings; Made in Minnesota solar incentive amounts set for 2014; The right suppliers right here in Minnesota; Hennepin County business recycling grants available; Area Source Boiler Rule – new videos and Jan 20 deadline; Ideas from the web
- News from the Small Business Environmental Assistance Program Inside: Don't miss MPCA grant opportunity for VOC reductions; Industrial stormwater updates; Minnesota ban on coal tar sealants coming January 2014; Where is your e-waste headed?; Seven tools you need to climb Mount Sustainability
Small Business Enterprise Newsletter: Past issues
- Small Business Enterprise: 2013 - Summer Inside: Greening at Warners' Stellian; ReUSE Minnesota: Making reuse happen; New tool explains stationary engine rules; DoItGreen Directory: Promote your green business efforts; Turfgrass maintenance trainings; MPCA looking for small business partners in VOC reduction; Rural MN Solar Initiative helps farmers, small businesses gain solar; Funding: MPCA Clean diesel grant helps reduce air pollution
- Small Business Enterprise: News from the Small Business Environmental Assistance Program Inside: Green funding - Minneapolis grants for greening up auto maintenance; Rule watch - Revised federal boiler and stationary engines standards
- Small Business Enterprise: 2013 - Spring Inside: MPCA offers business assistance to reduce BPA; free energy assessments for small businesses; Mpls grants for dry cleaners switching from toxic perc; Mpls grants for auto maintenance; Charging while you work: A new guide for expanding workplace electric vehicle charging; 30 seconds and a gallon jug could save your commercial kitchen over $400/yr; Business news from MNTAP; Kare 11 featuring green business challenge
- Small Business Enterprise: 2012 - Fall Inside: Better maintenance of paved surfaces; Industrial Stormwater update; MPCA Grant Opportunity – reducing BPA in thermal papers; Study shows workers at "green" companies more productive; NPPR 2025 Safer Chemistry Challenge Program webinars; DfE safer chemicals list; EPA identifies substitutes for toxic flame-retardant chemical
- Small Business Enterprise: 2012 - Summer Inside: Small business highlight: Eco-friendly REI; Fairview reduces waste at the source; A new look for the Minnesota Materials Exchange; EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award winner - small business; All new grain elevator page
- Small Business Enterprise: Business funding and a RICE rule webinar Inside: MPCA Environmental Assistance Grants (due June 14); Workplace Charging for Electric Vehicles (due May 22); June Webinars on Stationary Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines (RICE)
- Small Business Enterprise: 2012 - Spring Inside: Industrial stormwater—are you monitoring?; Helping truckers save money and clean up the air; Energy efficiency at a metal fabricator; Minnesota Business First Stop launched; New SBEAP regulatory tools; Resourceful Waste Management Guide updated
- Small Business Enterprise: Green funding opportunities Inside: RFQ solicitation for assistance providers; Workplace charging of electric vehicles; Reusable transport packaging funding; MPCA GreenCorps accepting applications; MPCA Environmental Assistance Loan program
- Small Business Enterprise: 2012 - Winter Inside: Safer Chemistry Challenge Program; Parking lots on a low-salt diet; EI awards now open; Switch out T12 fluorescents now; EPA approves alt. refrigerants; New regulatory resources; Emissions Inventory reporting delayed
- Small Business Enterprise: 2011 - Fall Inside: Industrial stormwater sampler; Green Chemistry in action: Salo Manufacturing; Burning used oil for heat; Online emission inventory reporting coming soon; Funding opportunities
- Small Business Enterprise: 2011 - Summer Inside: MPCA permit streamlining; NESHAP updates: 6H and 6X; MEI Award Winner: Mustard Seed Garden Center; Governors Award Winner: Public Pools Initiative; Events; Enterprise survey - Share your story!
- Small Business Enterprise: 2011 - Spring Inside: Greening your supply chain; New boiler rules; New pesticide permit; Priority toxic chemicals from DOH; Pallet film recycling; e-subscribe for funding and event information; Green action survey
- Small Business Enterprise: 2010 - Fall Inside: NESHAP updates; Green business certifications; Air permit success story; New GreenStep Cities program; Environmental assistance grants available; Compliance calendars; MnTAP internships applications
- Small Business Enterprise: 2010 - Summer Inside: Solar array at local body shop; Metal plating/polishing NESHAP; Proposed stormwater rule for developers, Governors award applications; GHG “Tailoring Rule” for small sources; MnTAP interns to present findings; Industrial stormwater permit update
- Small Business Enterprise: 2010 - Spring Inside: New air and water fees final; Revised air rule for existing engines; ISW permit effective; Local cleaner recognized; plastic bag recycling in greater Minnesota; Ultraviolet finishes; Consider green product design
For paper copies, please contact Angela Bourdaghs at 651-757-2176.
Compliance calendars can be used to keep records and log inspections, keep you up to date on regulations affecting your business, and provide great ideas for pollution prevention and waste reduction (and related cost savings).
To request a free calendar, call the SBEAP hotline at 651-282-6143 or 800-657-3938.
Download and print a calendar. Note: to print like a calendar, set your print properties to "flip up" the pages.
- 2014 Aboveground Storage Tanks
- 2014 Aggregate Facilities . For additional resources, visit the aggregate sector page.
- 2014 Compliance Calendar: Dry Cleaners .
Out of print
These calendars will not be updated, but you can print out monthly log sheets to help with your recordkeeping.
- 2012 Hot Mix Asphalt Plants
- 2012 Vehicle Maintenance . Hazardous waste fact sheet #2.41, Documenting Weekly Inspections , can be used instead. See the hazardous waste publication page for fact sheets on specific vehicle wastes.
Environmental Guide for Small Businesses in Minnesota
This guide was created for small manufacturers as a user-friendly guide to Minnesota's environmental regulations. The goal is to give you enough information to quickly determine whether your business is subject to a regulation and where to go for more help.
- Short chapters focused by rule areas.
- A flow chart helps you determine which rules apply to your business.
- Details on regulation and step-by-step approach to complying.
- Resources for additional information and assistance.
Get the guide
Download the full document or by chapter.
To request a free printed copy, call the SBEAP Hotline: 651-282-6143 or 800-657-3938.
Download by chapter
- Air Quality
- Assistance Providers
- Clean-Up and Remediation
- Emergency and Pollution Prevention Planning
- Financial Assistance
- Hazardous Waste
- Occupational Safety and Health
The guide was created by SBEAP in partnership with many agencies and programs.
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Minnesota Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Minnesota Small Business Development Centers
- Minnesota Technical Assistance Program