Your competitors meet their regulatory obligations too. Complying with environmental regulations is the minimum that is required, but what is expected of you beyond that? Consumer expectations have evolved. Today, businesses and industries are expected to do their part to proactively protect the environment. Compliance may not be enough anymore. Going beyond regulations can be a good business decision with multiple benefits which can include:
- Reduced regulatory obligations (fees, administrative time)
- Lower cost product
- Health and environmental benefits
- Increased competitiveness/efficiency
- Green marketing potential
- Employee satisfaction, retention, and attraction
Reduce your regulatory obligations by decreasing emissions and wastes that are directly regulated. Why do you have that permit? What can you do to move out of being regulated? Making the move now can result in lower permit fees and save money lost to administrative and staff time. Go beyond compliance by identifying and implementing green initiatives in all areas of your business.
For more information about greening your business or discovering the benefits of going beyond compliance, email Angie Bourdaghs or 651-757-2176.
Links to get started – Beyond regulation
- Sign up for regulatory and pollution prevention information from the MPCA Small Business Enterprise newsletter
- Minnesota Technical Assistance Program – Minnesota resource for business pollution prevention
- Minnesota Waste Wise – Minnesota consulting for business sustainability
- Pollution Prevention Resource Exchange (P2Rx)- National pollution prevention information for all business types
- Checklist for Greening Your Business - Where to begin? Identify first steps with this general green checklist
- Smart steps to sustainability - A guide to greening your small business
- Office of Small Business Programs (U.S. EPA) – What does it mean to "go green?" EPA's Office of Small Business Programs offers a variety of resources and assistance to help your organization reduce its environmental impacts.