Product Stewardship Study
No Documents Found
In the Product Stewardship Recommendations Report (Jan. 2009), the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency offered recommendations for establishing a comprehensive product stewardship approach to reducing environmental and health risks posed by the use or disposal of products. The report was submitted to the chairs and ranking minority members of the state senate and house committees with jurisdiction over environmental policy.
For further information, contact Garth Hickle, MPCA Product Stewardship Team leader, at 651-757-2434 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legislative charge & timeline
This study is explicitly named in the 2007-2008 legislative session (Minnesota Session Law, Chapter 363, Article 5, Sec. 3).Prospectus for the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency's Report to the Legislature on a Product Stewardship Framework
- July 2008: Complete draft project prospectus and identify key questions/issues to be addressed
- July 2008: Establish web presence for public communication on the intiative, post draft prospectus, and seek public input
- June-August 2008: Conduct research, identify issues and develop options
- September 2008: Host initial stakeholder meeting to seek input on key questions
- August-October 2008: Conduct additional specific stakeholder meetings with local government, environmental advocacy community, business community
- November 2008: Post draft report on web site for stakeholder review
- December 2008: Host additional stakeholder meeting to receive comments on draft report and recommendations
- December 2008: Review and incorporate relevant comments on draft report
- January 15, 2009: Final report:
No Documents Found
In developing the product stewardship study, the MPCA hosted two public meetings to solicit input on several concepts and questions pertaining to the product stewardship study and recommendations report. In addition, the MPCA met with individual stakeholder groups.January 9, 2009
This meeting, hosted by the Center for Sustainable Enterprise Systems (Univ. of Minnesota), explored strategies to promote environmentally preferable products using standards, certifications and eco-labels as part of a comprehensive approach to product stewardship in Minnesota.
- Main presentation: Standards, Certifications, and Eco-labels: Toward a comprehensive product stewardship approach (1.4Mb)
The MPCA held a second public meeting in St. Paul to review the draft of the recommendations report.
- Archived webcast: www.pca.state.mn.us/streams/product_stewardship_recommendations/
The initial public meeting was held at the St. Paul offices of MPCA.
- Main presentation & agenda: Public Meeting on Product Stewardship Framework Report (700Kb)
- Archived webcast: www.pca.state.mn.us/streams/product_stewardship_public_meeting/
- Meeting attendees