Environmentally preferable purchasing
Public entities have major purchasing power — this means your purchases can make a positive impact on human health, the environment, and your budget.
The MPCA's Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) program works to increase the availability of environmentally preferable products on state contracts, help public entities green their procurement programs, and share EPP news and information with the EPP community. The EPP program also works with the Product Stewardship team on the issue of standards, certifications, and ecolabels.
- EPP requirements for public entities in Minnesota
- State contracts
- GREEN Group
- Resources and national programs
- Standards, certifications and ecolabels
- Case studies and resources
- EPP policies
Determine your impact
You can calculate the impact of your purchases through a variety of calculators.
- Calculator - Remanufactured toner cartridges Using remanufactured toner cartridges instead of new ones eliminates a waste stream and can reduce your Agency’s purchasing costs. This tool calculates the savings from using remanufactured toner cartridges for laser printers. (NYC Deparatment of Sanitation)
- Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator (U.S. EPA) Developed to assist organizations in estimating the environmental and economic benefits of greening their purchase, use and disposal of electronics. (Federal Electronics Challenge)
- Energy Star Savings Calculators Spreadsheet-based calculators to estimate how much money and energy you can save purchasing ENERGY STAR certified products. (ENERGY STAR)
- Green Cleaning Pollution Prevention Calculator (U.S. EPA) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) developed this tool to estimate benefits from adopting "green" cleaning practices. This tool enables users to identify which green cleaning measures will have the greatest impact in reducing their use of hazardous chemicals and in preventing pollution.
- Paper Calculator (Environmental Paper Network) The premier tool for measuring the environmental impacts of paper and discovering the best paper choices. Use it to quantify the impacts of your paper usage, and to compare different grades and types of paper with varying amounts of recycled content.