Feedlot Rule information
The feedlot rules, effective October 23, 2000, are posted at the Minnesota Revisors Office Web site to ensure that the most recent version of the rule is viewed. The links below will take you to these rules. Once the rules are open in your Web browser, use the "find in page" search option to locate specific information within the rule. If you have difficulty searching the rules, contact the Legislative Reference Library at 651-296-8338 for assistance.
- Chapter 116: Pollution Control Agency
- 116.07, Subd. 7: Counties; processing of applications for animal lot permits
- 116.0711: Feedlot permit conditions
- 116.0713: Livestock odor
- Chapter 18C.433 Commercial animal waste application
On April 22, 2014, the MPCA Citizens’ Board approved the staff Findings of Facts and Order Adopting Feedlot Rule Amendments Governing Animal Feedlots, Permits and Certifications, and Permit Fees (Minn. R. ch.7020, 7002 and 7001). The revised rule went into effect May 27, 2014. Minn. Rules Ch. 7020 govern the storage, transportation, disposal and use of animal manure and process wastewaters, and the application for and issuance of permits for construction and operation of animal manure management and disposal or utilization systems for the protection of the environment. For more information on the amendments, Statement of Need and Reasonableness explaining why the changes were made, and the public comment process, go to the Feedlot Rulemaking webpage.
- Feedlot rules overview
- Amendments to rules governing feedlots - presentation
- Feedlot rules referencing various water types
- Pasture operations and Minnesota feedlot rules
- Delegated county feedlot program
- Permit Notification Requirements - Feedlots with more than 500 Animal Units
- Managing livestock feeding on pasture and crop residue
- 30-day Notice for Construction or Expansion
- Interim Permits for Feedlots Under 10/50 AU Thresholds
- MPCA 15-day Review of County Permits
- Policy 2004-01: Multiple Site Detemination
- Policy 2004-02: Expansions Under the Open Lot Agreement
- Memorandum of Understanding - Disposal of livestock carcasses, concrete and rebar and debris from damaged farm structures resulting from a disaster
Under 7020.0205 INCORPORATION BY REFERENCE please contact:
- American Society for Testing and Materials for further information on obtaining items A-D.
- For item E, see the Code of Federal Regulations, title 40, part 412, Feedlots Point Source Category. (Updated in 2003)
- For item F, see the Code of Federal Regulations, title 40, section 122.23. (Updated in 2003)
- For item G, see the Protected Waters and Wetlands Maps at the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Web site.
- For item H, see the United States Geological Survey Quadrangle Maps.
- For item I, contact NRCS to request MN-NRCS Code No. 425 (1991) and Code No. 313 (1998). Note NRCS updated Code 313 in 2004.
- Items in J and L are currently under revision.
- For item K, please contact the American Society for Testing and Materials for further information.
- Statement of Need and Reasonableness (SONAR) In the Matter of Proposed Amendments to Minnesota Rules Relating to Animal Feedlots, Storage, Transportation, and Utilization of Animal Manure
- Administrative Law Judge Report on MPCA Feedlot Rule - Chapter 7020 (Office of Administrative Hearings)
- 2000 Feedlot Rule Post-Hearing MPCA Responses (March 13, 2000)