Feedlot NPDES/SDS Permit Applications
Applications for NPDES/SDS permits and related information are open for public review, subject to any applicable provisions of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act. The MPCA maintains a list of site-specific information for facilities that have applied for coverage under an NPDES/SDS permit. A facility will remain on the Web for a minimum of 30 days.
The public may submit comments about NPDES/SDS permit applications to the appropriate MPCA office during the open comment period. Concerns will be considered and may result in additional inspections, or modifications to applicable plans. In certain cases, applicants may be requested to apply for an individual NPDES/SDS permit.
- Feedlot NPDES/SDA Permit Application List (wq-f3-25)
General NPDES/SDS Permit Public Notices
The MPCA Commissioner has made a preliminary determination to issue coverage under the General Livestock Production Permit to the noticed feedlot facilities.
Prior to issuing coverage under the General NPDES/SDS Permit, a 30-day public comment period is provided. Facilities open for public comment are available at the link provided below.
Each notice contains instructions on how to submit written comment, including the address and location of the office where staff are working on the specific application. Instructions on how to request a public information meeting, request a Contested Case Hearing, or submit a petition to the Commissioner are also included within each notice.
- 2011-2016 Feedlot NPDES General Permit (wq-f3-38)
Individual NPDES/SDS Permit Public Notices and Draft Permit
Not all facilities required to apply for coverage under an NPDES/SDS permit are eligible for a general permit. Facilities that meet any of the criteria listed below must apply for and obtain coverage under an individual NPDES/SDS permit.
- The owner/operator requests an individual NPDES/SDS permit.
- The owner/operator agrees to have conditions placed in their permit, which are not covered by a general permit. For example, new technologies.
- The owner/operator has had past formal enforcement actions levied against them and, as a result of the past violations, the MPCA determined that additional permit conditions are necessary.
- A pollution hazard exists as defined in Minn. R. 7020.0300, subp. 19a, and as determined by the MPCA.
- If Minn. R. 7001.0210, subp. 6, or 40 CFR § 122.28 (b) (3) are applicable.
Prior to issuing coverage under an individual NPDES/SDS permit, a 30-day public comment period is provided. Draft individual NPDES/SDS permits open for public comment are available at the link provided below.
Each notice contains instructions on how to submit written comments, including the address and location of the office where staff are working on the specific application. Instructions on how request a public informational meeting, request a Contested Case Hearing, or submit a petition to the Commissioner are also included within each notice.
- MPCA Public Notices and Draft Permits (Note: this link goes to the MPCA Public Notice page. There may or may not be feedlot-related public notices available in the current listing of public notices. Feedlot listings will include the term “CAFO.”)