A beginner's guide to reusable bags
May the bag be with you
- Store the bag in your car and put it back when you’re done.
- Bring back the sack! While you're at it, stuff some old shopping bags in there, too! Paper or plastic, reuse is fantastic!
- Get several reusable bags — you’ll probably need more than one, and you're going to get hooked on their convenience and general awesomeness.
Put it out there
- Make a note: Remind yourself to use that bag with a line on your shopping list or a sticky note on your car's dashboard.
- Get in the habit. Challenge yourself to use a reusable bag for your next five shopping trips.
- Be prepared: If there's a bagger at checkout, let them know ahead of time that you have your own bag that you want to reuse.
Beyond the bag
Some people wonder what they will do without disposable bags. Fear not.
- Most recycling collectors allow use of reusable containers instead of paper bags. Ask your local recycler if you can use alternatives like plastic waste baskets, 5-gallon buckets, or storage totes.
- Put out only full bags on recycling day. Combine your half bag with a neighbor's.
- Instead of pulling out the bag liner in your wastebasket, dump the contents into a bigger container on trash day.