North Minneapolis Air Monitoring Project
Air dispersion modeling conducted for Northern Metals and nearby sources in August 2012 indicated there are potential modeled exceedances of the National Ambient Air Quality Standard (NAAQS) for fine particulate matter (PM2.5) from a combination of local facilities in and around the Mississippi River corridor in North Minneapolis. Residents in North Minneapolis are very interested in the air quality in their neighborhoods, and want to see improvements in their air quality.
The MPCA formed a staff team in September 2012 to investigate whether these potential modeled exceedances are actually occurring and to respond to community concerns about air quality in their area. The team has begun what is anticipated to be a several-year effort.
- Place an ambient air quality monitor in or around the industrial area of North Minneapolis. As data becomes available from the monitor, MPCA staff will analyze the PM2.5 monitored values. Monitored values will be compared against the NAAQS for PM2.5, as well as against modeled concentrations. MPCA would like to site and install the monitor by the end of 2012, so as to begin taking measurements on January 1, 2013. The team will seek input from North Minneapolis residents on the monitoring plan and share information with the community about project status and results. Monitoring is expected to continue for three years.
- The MPCA will work with facilities in the area to determine if emissions information the MPCA has on file is still current and correct. The agency will also work with these same facilities to determine what reductions or best management practices can be implemented to further reduce their impacts on the air quality of North Minneapolis.
- Continue to work with community representatives on providing information and outreach about air quality tools, as well as to foster better communications between the MPCA and community representatives.
Links to documents and other information
- North Minneapolis Fine Particle Monitoring - Results from January 1, 2013 – May 31, 2013
- Air Monitoring in North Minneapolis
- Fine particle pollution — This report details monitoring efforts and what is known about fine particule levels (PM2.5) in ambient air statewide and in the Twin Cities.
For more information
For more information about the MPCA's North Minneapolis air monitoring project, contact Ralph Pribble, 651-757-2657 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to be included on a mailing list for future updates about the project, please sign up for our GovDelivery email notification.