MPCA and environmental justice
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) is firmly committed to the principles of Environmental Justice.
Environmental Justice is an organizational principle regarding the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of disadvantaged communities. As such, Environmental Justice is not a program but a way of doing business for the MPCA.
In the course of implementing Environmental Justice, the MPCA will seek open lines of communication from Environmental Justice communities.
It is expected that how we incorporate Environmental Justice into agency work will evolve over time to ensure the agency makes the most of limited resources.
The U.S. EPA defines Environmental Justice as the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations and policies. The MPCA agrees with the basic principles of this statement and believes that implementing these principles is part of good governance.
Fair treatment means that no group of people, including a racial, ethnic or a socioeconomic group, should bear a disproportionate share of the negative environmental consequences resulting from industrial, municipal, and commercial operations or the execution of federal, state, local, and tribal programs and policies.
Meaningful involvement means that:
- potentially affected community residents have an appropriate opportunity to participate in decisions about a proposed activity that will affect their environment and/or health;
- the public's contribution can influence the regulatory agency's decision;
- the concerns of all participants involved will be considered in the decision making process; and
- the decision makers seek out and facilitate the involvement of those potentially affected.
- MPCA Environmental Justice Policy
- Environmental Justice Strategies and Implementation
- MPCA-EPA 2013-2016 Joint EJ Priority
- MPCA Commissioner Letter to Environmental Justice Stakeholders
- Notice of Nondiscrimination
- Grievance Procedures Related to Civil Rights
For questions or comments about MPCA’s Environmental Justice activities, contact: